TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Scorpion Roller Rocker Arms for Bridge V8 Heads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Scorpion Roller Rocker Arms for Bridge V8 Heads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flejl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scorpion Roller Rocker Arms for Bridge V8 Heads
    Posted: Aug/06/2022 at 6:28pm
Are these the correct roller rocker arms to replace the factory stamped bridged ones that AMC used?

Non adjustable

Adjustable

I have a set of 3220502 casting heads with bridged "rockers" on the 401 I picked up and I am thinking when it is time to start work on the engine build it would be a good idea to replace the factory units.

They also seem to have an adjustable set, but I could use some guidance on this.

garland performce View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garland performce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2022 at 8:08pm
The adjustable one what i would go with
I have not use this pedestal ones
I have used the Harland Sharp ones
I am a Harland Sharp Dealer if i can help if needed

mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2022 at 5:19pm
Making Harlan Sharps look cheap !!!! LRDaum
LRDaum
RobinPDX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinPDX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2022 at 11:35pm
So with 5/16" hold bolts, I am rather ambivalent using such a small pice. Why didn't they go with minimum 3.8" studs?
I can't see that small of a bolt withstanding flex enough to make me feel confident these are durable.
Maybe drill those RR swivel center sections out and get different bolts? 
It's neat that now there is a replacement set for our beloved bridge setups though I'm scratching my head here WHY they didn't go 3/8" Studs.
Any way I guess I could contact scorpion and have Them punch a 3/8 hole in it, seeing they got the drill press there on site. 

Edited by RobinPDX - Nov/15/2022 at 11:45pm
Rob Wiley
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2022 at 12:26am
The factory bridge rockers were 5/16" bolts and other then the aluminum bridge design, held up fine for mild performance street use.
Unless you are racing, the 1097's should be fine for years.
If racing or big cam, get 090 heads that are studs already, flow slightly better then 502's and drive on with the 3297's.
With so many SBF spinning 7000+ rpm regularly with similar bridge rockers, don't see an issue.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2022 at 11:37am
Originally posted by RobinPDX RobinPDX wrote:

So with 5/16" hold bolts, I am rather ambivalent using such a small piece. Why didn't they go with minimum 3.8" studs?
I can't see that small of a bolt withstanding flex enough to make me feel confident these are durable.

A pedestal rocker design doesn't "flex" the bolt in operation unless (a) the bolt has lost preload or is otherwise loose or (b) rocker load exceeds bolt preload.   The bolts should only see the tensile load from the initial assembly preload (bolt torque).

Stud mounted rockers do flex the stud shank under cyclic bending and cyclic tension.   That's why a larger stud is needed and a generous fillet between shank and hex to improve fatigue strength.

Hope this helps, RD.
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2022 at 10:32am
Do a search for LS rocker conversion.  As I recall, the LS rockers work if you cut them into sections.  

RobinPDX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinPDX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2022 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by BassBoat BassBoat wrote:

Do a search for LS rocker conversion.  As I recall, the LS rockers work if you cut them into sections.  

I did briefly view it last year, from all I did asking searching hunting etc, the efforts collectively on this topic is sparse.
Did not see enough momentum to have simple proper pro/con demonstration info about this what to do to make it work etc, such as the geometry, clearances fitments.
If I had a better place to do it would love to take it up and go thru the steps to see what actually is needed,  to adapt them (LR Towers & RA) for all the AMC guys and so we could have a reliable known system for our V8's.

LS parts setup has plenty advantages over the Scorpion RA parts.
The final version/combo of pieces is a factor also. 

LS Parts IMO wins out about all points. 

Rob Wiley
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2022 at 3:19am
To use LS rockers the bridge bolt pedestals need to be cut down or use longer valves. The best thing to do is cut them .200 if using stock length valves and shim the stands up if necessary 

The stands need to be cut in sections to use the rockers in pairs 

I use factory LS1 rockers with the trunnion upgrade

I have been using .100 long Chevy valves .5020" x 11/32, with a lash cap and untouched pedestals 

The LS rocker sweeps the valve tip just about from end to end. The starting point needs to be close to the intake side of the valve so the sweep stays stays in contact with the valve stem tip

I will be using stock length SBC valves after this next build and cutting the pedestals down for builds coming up

Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic