TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Natural Gas powered 343???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devildog80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2022 at 5:41pm
Most back up home Generators are going to Propane, as they might get used every few years or so, and the propane is as good then as it was when first filled.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150, 727, ST NP229, AMC 20 Rear - D44 Front - WT 3.31
Gench View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2022 at 6:28pm
Also considered using the torker exhaust crossover for cooling as well. Planned to mount the tank on sliders in place of back seat for weight balancing. Leverage compression for sure, I’m 13.25:1. 

In the end I went E85 due to 2 factors.

1. I’m at elevation and e85 is oxygenated fuel.
2. My 401 is .060 over… e85 runs cooler than gas and propane. Propane runs hotter than gas. Seemed the logical choice…

That said, I have no plans to sell my setup… someday I’ll play.

Gench View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2022 at 6:38pm
Regarding a tank heater for pressure, don’t believe it’s needed, at least not with a tank like mine that can flow liquid propane vs vapour. I believe you run a feed and return to the mixers. If you use vapour the size of the tank, liquid surface area inside, dictates flow. Could be wrong but my understanding.
Gench View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2022 at 7:21pm
EFI isn’t for lazy people who can’t tune a carb… I find most can’t do either. That said; tuning propane is hands down the easiest. The mixer even compensated for elevation.

Skwishy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skwishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2022 at 11:08pm
Yea, auto parts city. gurnee IL. They have a secret lot where i found this baby for 1500$ they also have Studebakers, and like 20 packards from sedans to drop tops. They even have a AMC DJ5 in there for sale.im sure they have some eagle parts. Up by me in green bay. Theres not a lot. except DC auto. In sturgeon Bay where i have gotten a few intake manifolds and timing covers for projects. Theres a guy around here who deals AMC auto parts. Ill look for his buisness card
HFD Helmet #33
'68 AMC Ambassador SST. always looking for parts and cool stories. In dire need of a manual trans.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 8:27pm
Some of the Aussies were building engines specifically for CNG (compressed natural gas... a little less potent than propane) back in the early 2000s. One guy I talked to (on internet) was building a 360 for a Jeep Grand Wagoneer. He was going to either 10.5:1 or 11.0:1 compression since the CNG would tolerate it and it would give him most of the power loss back. The downside if you can't run pump gas if you run out of CNG -- it's CNG only. Well, I suppose you could dump some racing fuel in it, but that would be a bit expensive and harder to get (if you can even readily get racing or aviation gas easily in Australia).
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic