TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

74 AMX Thermastat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobsterfl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2022 at 6:36pm
FWIW, make sure you put the thermostat in right side up. I have seen it happen! Don't ask me how I know.
Bobsterfl
1970 BBO Javelin
390 - Torqueflight
devildog80 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devildog80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2022 at 6:41pm
And do not forget to drill the little purge hole before install....if it does not have one already.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2022 at 10:32pm
When does it overheat? -
  • slow, stop and go traffic, but OK at speed -could be caused by poor airflow through the rad
  • OK at slow speed, but rises when on highway - could be caused by poor water flow through the rad

A little diagnosing helps a lot. As Ramblinrev said, throwing parts at it is not the best approach (unless you are holding that $1.1B lottery ticket, then have it)

69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Regamble1969 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regamble1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2022 at 2:03am
To answer your original question:
1. Remove the radiator cap and drain the coolant either at the petcock of the radiator (simple and clean) or by pulling the lower radiator hoe (fast but messy).
2. Follow the upper radiator hose to the aluminum housing on the intake manifold as mentioned before.
3. Remove the upper hose.
4. Remove the two bolts that hold the thermostat housing and remove the housing and thermostat.
5. Clean all surfaces including the step in the intake where the thermostat sits.
6. Install the new thermostat with the frame of the thermostat that looks almost like an arrow pointing towards the hose not down into the intake manifold. This is critical.
7. Install the housing and gasket. I always use a little right stuff on the gasket.
8. Install upper hose and close the petcock or install the lower hose.
9. Inspect the radiator core and cap. I replace the cap with every thermostat since they weaken over time. Never reuse coolant.
10. If everything looks good, fill the radiator with the correct amount of coolant/water mix. Let it sit for a bit and keep adding until the level doesn't drop.
11. Start the car with the cap off and turn the heater on hot, high fan, on defrost. This will burp air out of the beater core.
12. Run the car until the heater is blowing hot and the thermostat opens allowing hot water to flow through the upper hose into the radiator. Keep the system topped off. I will frequently massage the radiator hoses and heater hoses to aid in circulation and burping of air. The heater hoses should heat up before the thermostat opens so feeling the heater hoses is a good way to determine pump circulation and air in the system.
13. Once the car reaches operating temp it will start to push coolant out the radiator, top it off and put the cap on before it gushes hot water everywhere.
14. Make sure temp stabilizes and heater still blows hot.

Done.

As for the rest of the questions, they aren't unfounded either. When is it overheating? Does it boil over or just get hotter than normal? What kind of fan are you running? Does it have a fan shroud? If it's not leaking out the weep hole in the water pump, that's not a likely cause. I have had a rash of bad radiator caps the last couple years so I just replace them every time I replace anything in the cooling system. Etc etc etc. I just had to flush my entire system, replace all 4 thermostats, and replace the electric fan clutch on my truck due to an overheating issue. Few things are as annoying. If the new coolant, cap, and thermostat doesn't cure it, and the fan system is functioning correctly with an effective shroud, and the radiator is clean inside, I would get it pressure tested or have a combustion test done on the cooling system.
warthog222 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warthog222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2022 at 9:08am
Thanks for all the great inputs
I have it pulled apart and now just waiting on parts to arrive

Thanks Ron

Results::::::::
Finally got the new thermostat. Also put on a new radiator cap and did an extensive radiator flush.
I turned the new thermostat down very snug.  still had a little water creeping out by the seal so tightened even more.  Then went for a ride about 2-3 miles only.  The heater was blowing hot air that checked.
When I came back it seemed very hot. The radiator was too hot to hold hand on for longer than a few seconds. The gage in the car had gone up to about the first third of the bar on the instrument. Opened the hood and saw three small streams of water were coming out from the thermostat seal.  The engine just seemed too hot.....I could be wrong, but I only went three miles.  The top hose is hot, so it seems like it is pumping water.  At this point I am puzzled any suggestions or advise appreciated.

Ron

Edited by warthog222 - Aug/20/2022 at 12:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic