TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

At what point do i overbore a 401 block

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2023 at 1:41pm
Jeff Lee View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2023 at 8:41am
Just an FYI - you can get custom pistons at ANY bore size. And considering the cost of 390 /401 standard bore blocks, this may actually pencil out economically. 
Believe it or not, I just had a set of pistons built that weee only .003” larger than the set I replaced. I had two bad pistons and wanted to change the ring configurations. I’m also limited to the amount I can overbore by class rules. Yes, I realize that’s not for everyone but maybe you have a block that was cheap or even free and finding something “better” is now $1500+. I use Gibtech pistons and 8 new pistons and pins were $1,450 w/ shipping and 6-week turnaround (depending on engineering changes you may have; custom domes, etc). And that’s a 433 gram 2618 material piston with perfect tolerances. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic