TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1972 Gremlin Gauges.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimjific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2022 at 1:25pm
You guys solved it. I went through all the wires and put them all on in the right spot. I might have forgotten to put the ground wire on the the headlight switch which also grounds the wiper switch the last time I put things together. Anyway, the wipers work properly now. Two speeds and they park correctly. Alt light is still on so I checked the battery voltage again. 12.8 when car is off. 12.8V at idle and 13.3V when reved. The light seems to go off when I get it to run at low idle but come on as soon as I give it some throttle. I took the wires off the back of the alternator and cleaned all contacts. It did not help. Maybe time for a new alternator. Or, do they make an alternator rebuild kit?

Thanks for all the help,
Jim
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2022 at 4:40pm
You could have a bad alternator, or regulator, or battery. I suggest you first get the battery load tested to make sure it will take, and hold, a charge. This will eliminate a line of questioning.

After that, I suggest you read Bill D's charging system diagnostics thread. It will help determine where the fault is.

Alternators can be rebuilt, but there is no "kit" that I know of. You would have to source bearings, brushes, and diodes individually and replace them. This only works if the commutator and stator are still good. Shorted windings in a 50 year old case are not uncommon. The enamel on the wire begins to flake off in that length of time.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2022 at 2:46am
The alternator is producing power, it just has low output. That could be the regulator too. I would purchase a new regulator, swap it in, and see what happens before blaming the alternator. It's a good idea to have a spare regulator anyway. 

Never turn in your original alternator for core value if you buy one of those "over the parts counter" remanufactured ones. Always keep your original. The quality of the parts store reman ones is less than stellar, and your original can be rebuilt to much better standards.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Jimjific View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimjific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2022 at 10:25am
Thanks for the link to the diagnostics thread. The diagnostics thread didn't have any images showing what terminals were what on the alt. but I did find an image online. Of course, it used different terminology than the links instructions so I wasn't really too confident throwing jumpers on terminals wondering one, what would I be potentially frying and two, would I be getting the right test done.

Anyway, I did some testing this weekend and this is what I found.

I cleaned all of the connections to the starter solenoid.

0.35V From Alt output to positive terminal of battery.
0.00V From Alt case to negative terminal of battery.
12.58V between battery terminals with a jumper between alt output and positive battery terminal at idle. Revving motor read 13.08.

It's seeming like it is the alternator that is the issue. Regulators are fairly cheap, so I might just replace that anyway.

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2022 at 2:28am
Time for a regulator. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Jimjific View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimjific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2022 at 2:18pm
Well, It's not the regulator. I just got a new one and after installing, seeing the same results. I will pull the alternator.

Jim
Jimjific View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimjific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 12:13pm
Well I finally got a new alternator from NAPA. I was going to get mine rebuilt but it was twice the price. I kept my original just in case. Anyway, it did the trick. The ALT light is now of and the battery is charging. Thanks everyone for thoughts and suggestions.

Jim
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 1:07pm
Sounds good! Glad you got it sorted out. Enjoy your Gremmy!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic