TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Radiator drain plug question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpiritedDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiator drain plug question
    Posted: Jul/04/2022 at 9:56pm
Hi everyone,

So this seems like a dumb question but I'm struggling with my radiator drain plug on my 83 spirit. I don't think it had ever been used, and when muscling the wing nut on it to drain the coolant, it broke and would only spin, but not loosen. I ended up drilling out the rivet on it and grabbing onto the remains with a pliers to thread the rest of the plug out, but now I cannot for the life of me find a replacement that fits or looks like what I had.

What confuses me is the ones I see online has a nut on it but the one I had was just threads and a wing nut that threads into a cylindrical hole. I can't post pictures but I have examples hosted below. 

https://ibb.co/qC7Tw5F
https://ibb.co/88JT6HV

I've been to all the parts stores in my town and none of the ones they have are small enough. What am I missing here?

sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2022 at 10:19pm
I can’t see your photos, but APD has two types that sound like what you describe: 

http://americanpartsdepot.net/amxcooling.htm#radiatorcaps

68-74

AMX, Javelin

Radiator Petcock (fits replacement radiators)

920 3600A

$2.00

68-74

AMX, Javelin

Radiator Petcock (fits original radiators)

920 3600

$15.00

Edited by sweatlock - Jul/04/2022 at 10:25pm
SpiritedDriver View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpiritedDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2022 at 10:39am
Sorry, you'll have to copy and paste those links I guess. That first type looks like one I was able to get at a parts store but it's still too big. The 2nd one looks closer to what I had, but not quite - it was just the threads and the wing nut. Maybe mine broke off at some point before I got the car. I'll try ordering that one then, thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic