TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oversized Rims

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2022 at 5:35pm
Folks have mentioned the degradation in ride quality with a shorter sidewall, but a commonly-ignored factor when going to a larger wheel/tire combination is the weight, which not only affects the ride, but also the acceleration, braking, and handling.  For example, when I went from 15x7 Centerlines to 17x8 Torq Thrust Original wheels, the wheels increased from 14 lbs each to 22 lbs each -- that's 8 lbs per wheel (57% greater), and that doesn't include any increase in tire weight.  When on a lift, I could easily lift and position the 15" wheels/tires up with one hand, but not so with the 17s.

Originally posted by Mr_Roboto Mr_Roboto wrote:

15s were always the standby for tire selection, but I think that's shifting these days.

I moved from 15s to 17s on both my '79 Spirit and my '57 Chevy because the selection of high-performance 15" street tires in sizes appropriate for our cars started drying up over a decade ago and is essentially non-existent.  You're either stuck with BFG TAs or Cooper Cobras on the low end or non-street-appropriate Hoosiers on the high end.  Apologies to those who like the BFGs or Coopers, but their design is out of date (the TA design is 52 years old!) and my experience and that of others hasn't been good with them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic