TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

mid plate.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mid plate.
    Posted: Jul/02/2022 at 5:48pm
the whole time i drove this S/C  i had clutch problems.  put 2 on it. was reading some post on here and got to thinking.  went out and went thro all the parts and it seems i don't have the mid plate for the engine to trans. if it was there when i pulled the old mill id have it. wondering if it not being there mite have had something to do with it.... i don't see how but what yall think?

its the little things that make the biggest difference
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2022 at 6:27pm
I'd think there would always be a separator plate between the engine and transmission housing to keep debris out of the clutch. Haven't seen one that didn't have that. Wouldn't think that would cause clutch problems unless water or some other contaminant was getting in the bell housing through that uncovered area.

-Steve-
hacksaw1971 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2022 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

I'd think there would always be a separator plate between the engine and transmission housing to keep debris out of the clutch. Haven't seen one that didn't have that. Wouldn't think that would cause clutch problems unless water or some other contaminant was getting in the bell housing through that uncovered area.

-Steve-
  ya .. i didn't think so.  but it must not have been one on it or it be with the rest of the stuff. and the mill was changed long before i got it.
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2022 at 2:37pm
Not having the plate will throw off your starter engagement. It will also open up the rear of your block for more severe damage if you have a shrapnel problem.

I would not recommend not having one.
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2022 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by DragRacingSpirit DragRacingSpirit wrote:

Not having the plate will throw off your starter engagement. It will also open up the rear of your block for more severe damage if you have a shrapnel problem.

I would not recommend not having one.
ya ..  im not going to run without one.  just looking for a reson for the clutch probloms. the guy i got it from had put a new clutch in it rite before i bought it. and i put 2 in it before i pulled the mill.
SCRAGTOP View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2022 at 8:44pm
DO NOT use clutches from the auto parts stores.  I have never been able to get those to work.  Use RAM, McLeod (Spelled right?) or centerforce.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2022 at 8:57pm
Last one was centerforce....  She I took out the mill it was burnt bad.  I did the break-in thing but it still burnt.  First one was some narly  almost took both feet to push the peddle that the guy I got it from had put in a week before I got it.  Had the cover rebuilt and flywheel turned.. Lasted almost 2 weeks. 
SCRAGTOP View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2022 at 9:54pm
Then you have one of two problems:

1.  Your motor makes more horsepower than the clutch will hold.

2.  You have a problem with the pressure the pressure plate is applying to the disc.  Either the throwout bearing is in contact with the fingers of the pressure plate and essentially "releasing" the pressure form the disc or something else is preventing the pressure plate from developing its full clamping force.  You will have to look really hard at everything and figure out what is going on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic