TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Quick heads up re RAM clutches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick heads up re RAM clutches
    Posted: Jul/02/2022 at 1:45pm
Hi! I have just found a problem with these guys that anyone thinking of using their clutch kits should be aware of. I have used the 88499HDX kit from RAM twice now and had it fail twice in under 6000 miles. The good news is that if you want a good old school B+B heavy duty clutch for a modest street machine or resto it is a great choice. It might be the only choice now, to be fair, but it is a good one. A bit heavy for some but I personally like it and it handles anything you are likely to do on the street. 

Bad news is that their throw out bearings seem to be a problem. First of all they include the 69 and earlier unit in every kit, regardless of model year. It will work on a 70 and up but you will have a persistent rattle any time your foot is off the pedal and worse yet, it will rub on the bearing retainer and destroy it in about 10,000 miles. Ask me why I know? The correct bearing is #1489 for 69 and before and #1491 for 1970 and up. 

Second and worse issue is that they are using some cheap Chinese made bearings in their kits. I had two fail identically by separating the bearing itself from the collar assembly. It is press fit and obviously not good enough. I also see what looks like excessive wear on the collar and the bearing itself works ok after separation but I think it is in the process of failing. Rattling internally and loose feeling. 

Replace the bearing with something better and that fits! The rest of the kit is great but unless you enjoy replacing TO bearings spend the extra $75 and buy a good one. I think after that you will be happy with the rest of the kit. 

Chris
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2022 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by ccowx ccowx wrote:

Hi! I have just found a problem with these guys that anyone thinking of using their clutch kits should be aware of. I have used the 88499HDX kit from RAM twice now and had it fail twice in under 6000 miles. The good news is that if you want a good old school B+B heavy duty clutch for a modest street machine or resto it is a great choice. It might be the only choice now, to be fair, but it is a good one. A bit heavy for some but I personally like it and it handles anything you are likely to do on the street. 

Bad news is that their throw out bearings seem to be a problem. First of all they include the 69 and earlier unit in every kit, regardless of model year. It will work on a 70 and up but you will have a persistent rattle any time your foot is off the pedal and worse yet, it will rub on the bearing retainer and destroy it in about 10,000 miles. Ask me why I know? The correct bearing is #1489 for 69 and before and #1491 for 1970 and up. 

Second and worse issue is that they are using some cheap Chinese made bearings in their kits. I had two fail identically by separating the bearing itself from the collar assembly. It is press fit and obviously not good enough. I also see what looks like excessive wear on the collar and the bearing itself works ok after separation but I think it is in the process of failing. Rattling internally and loose feeling. 

Replace the bearing with something better and that fits! The rest of the kit is great but unless you enjoy replacing TO bearings spend the extra $75 and buy a good one. I think after that you will be happy with the rest of the kit. 

Chris

x2

Had one in my Machine and the throwout bearing looked really cheap so I didn't use it.

-Steve-

pnypwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnypwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2022 at 6:41pm
I’ve had 3 Ram clutches non in an amc I put one in my 71 440-6 cuda was pedal bending hard right out of the gate. They sent me another one under warranty it lasted 6k miles. 3 and last one was in a 2003 mach 1 with a supercharger it held good but it was so stiff it made the firewall creak, added a McLeod hydraulic conversion was still miserable and it was a diaphragm unit. Very disappointed in their stuff. 
70 amx 360 survivor

74 gremlin 390
69 amx 390 project

68 sport satellite vert 440

03 mach 1 4.6 4v with a snail

65 mustang notch 347
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2022 at 8:34pm
I have to say, I like their pressure plates and discs, personally. Heavy for sure, but I am ok with that. I did not find it impossible to drive, but opinions may vary or yours may well have been defective. 

The whole product is unfortunately let down by one cheap component and I find that disappointing. I am especially unimpressed since that failure will require major surgery to fix, never mind the price. Again, this is a unit intended to handle 450 hp and be in a street/strip machine. Who thought it was a good idea to go to the lowest bidder?! 

Chris 
amxron View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2022 at 9:57pm
Most of the aftermarket "racing" clutches are about 3000 to 3400 lbs pressure while your factory V-8 clutches are usually 1800-2200 lbs. One of the reasons for the high pressure is the racing clutches don't have the weights on the end of the 3 fingers that apply more centrifical force as the RPM's go up allowing easier shifting.
I use Hayes for both of my AMX's, the racer wears out disc linings but, the pressure plate is fine. The street AMX is a bear to drive in the city. If I ever have to pull the trans or motor i'll have the spring pressure dropped to about 2400.

You will always get some signs of burning on a PP that you drive aggressively.
I've always run the 69 TO bearings in my 70's without any noise or problems.

The PP and disc are the same part #'s as sbc's, I've always thought this set up worked so well because they were afraid of the sbc guys getting po'd. LOL.

Goodluck,

Ron.
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic