TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Repeat throw out bearing failures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repeat throw out bearing failures
    Posted: Jul/01/2022 at 7:51pm
I just pulled my engine to replace some broken pistons. When I took a look at my TO bearing, it was rattly and the bearing inner and outer races had separated. No noise, but it seems to be coming apart both inside and outside. Now, checking back in my notes it seems that I had the same exact failure in 2018 and about 3000 miles ago. That bearing had also failed in about 3000 miles in the same way. 

WTH?! This is my second identical bearing failure in 4 years. This is in a mild,<400hp 390 in a stock 1970 Javelin. In both cases it was the bearing included in a RAM clutches 88499HDX borg and beck style clutch. I have replaced the bearing retainer with the larger 1969 and earlier one to match the slightly larger 69 and earlier TO bearing. 

Has anyone else had trouble with the TO bearing in the RAM clutch kits? I am not sure if it is the car or the TO bearing causing these failures. Is something out of whack in my car's drivetrain or does RAM cheap out on the bearings? 

Thanks!

Chris 
bobsterfl View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobsterfl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2022 at 8:46pm
Just my two cents worth. 

Incorrect linkage adjustment causing the TOB to run all the time?

Bad habit of driving with your left foot on the cluth pedal all the time? When I was in the Air Force I had to replace a lot of TOB's just for that reason.
Bobsterfl
1970 BBO Javelin
390 - Torqueflight
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2022 at 9:17pm
Neither, unfortunately. Those are easy to figure out! I am wondering if there has been a huge drop in quality on these things, like so many other aftermarket parts. I do have clutch fork wear, not sure if that should matter? What seems to be happening is that the collar for the clutch fork and it's flanges and such are separating from the actual inner and outer race. 

I am using a heavier clutch than stock, roughly 2800 pounds instead of 2200(?). If the bearing retainer was not perfectly straight, could that do it? I do have an original 70 and up bearing retainer and a matching TO bearing that I bought a few years back. I could use those, but that might be even a small step backwards. PAS reccomends using the earlier, slightly larger bearing and a heavier clutch. Not sure how much difference it makes?

Thanks!

Chris 
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2022 at 1:32pm
Ok, think I might have found the issue. In looking over the ones that failed I found "China" on the back. When I look over my oem replacement from SKF it was made in Illinois. I know where my vote goes! I will be using the domestic one and hopefully no further issues. 

Chris 
Ozzie View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2022 at 3:55pm
It appears that you may have found the problem that many others have also observed. The Chinese seem to concentrate on cost and production before quality control. It's not just on bearings. My guess is that you will get better results from the domestically produced bearing.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2022 at 4:18pm
Agreed. This is obviously a quality control situation and seems to be a consistent failure point with these bearings. My habit of keeping failed parts, at least for a while, shows that the identical failure happened both times. Needless to say, it will be the domestically produced bearing that I use.

Chris 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic