TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

196 Belt Routing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblingcrosscountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 196 Belt Routing
    Posted: Jun/28/2022 at 5:03pm
I had what’s probably a dumb question but I’ll ask it anyway. If I run the compressor + water pump fan off the crank pulley, then the alt on the accessory pulley, I don’t see any issues on the water pump and alternator side since the speed and diameter of the driven pulley isn’t changing. 

I’ll have to calculate the speed of the compressor pulley given the length and speed of the driven pulley, but at first glance, it looks like no problem. 

I’m doing this because of poor mock up of the compressor bracket on my part - basically didn’t check the belt clearances when I was fitting up the York bracket. 

Is my logic with the belt routing sound from your viewpoint? Any blatant concerns from your experience?
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2022 at 11:56pm
(busy all day!)

Looks reasonable, but two things, from experience.

The sanden drive pulley diameter at the crank should be about the same as the sanden. On my 199 American, a 7" drive pulley was far too large, there was a noticable hit when it kicked on at 60 mph! I found a 4.5" in my pile, that was fine. (my choices limited to parts on hand). 

On our slow turning motors it's good to overdrive the alternator. When substituting for a genie, it won't put out much current below 1100 rpm or so, driven from the factory balancer. (the fix would be to put a smaller pulley on the alt. 

It's not easy to mess with this stuff.  I put the sanden, in my 68 199 American, high on passenger side with a homemade bracket, driven from the bolt on pulley on the balancer. 

Those van be scarce parts...
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

ramblingcrosscountry View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblingcrosscountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2022 at 6:39am
Thanks Tom, appreciate your feedback.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic