TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 Amx seats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott tomcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 Amx seats
    Posted: Jun/28/2022 at 3:41pm
Looking to modify or replace the original seats as I find it really bad driving position 

Seat is too upright I don’t think there is any adjustment for recline unless I am missing something?
There is a lever at the top but this only allows it to fold forward
Thanks Scott 
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2022 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by scott tomcat scott tomcat wrote:

Looking to modify or replace the original seats as I find it really bad driving position 

Seat is too upright I don’t think there is any adjustment for recline unless I am missing something?
There is a lever at the top but this only allows it to fold forward
Thanks Scott 
70 model seats don't recline like the 68-9 AMX seats.
scott tomcat View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott tomcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2022 at 4:42pm
Ok thanks
I was thinking of replacing them or 
Altering the existing , spacing under the front to get better position  and using longer bolts
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2022 at 5:32pm
There are several ways to modify the seat to fit you needs, As you already surmised, adding a longer bolt or shorter bolt will work. You can add spacers to front or rear of the seat mounting bolts. If you remove the seat cover material, you can modify the angle of the seat to almost anything you want. (I have performed this little trick for several customers. Usually, I add a metal wedge and weld in place. Have the customer sit in the seat to adjust to their comfort level., On occasion I have heated the seat frame and bent to frame backwards for a customer. 
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

johnv View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 9:08pm
Modify the attachment rails, front or back, by adding Stainless steel Threaded Hex Double Pass Spacers in order to get desired driving position.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2022 at 5:18am
Originally posted by hassyfoto hassyfoto wrote:

If you remove the seat cover material, you can modify the angle of the seat to almost anything you want. (I have performed this little trick for several customers. Usually, I add a metal wedge and weld in place. Have the customer sit in the seat to adjust to their comfort level., On occasion I have heated the seat frame and bent to frame backwards for a customer. 
I've done that on the original seats in the Javelin. I pie cut the frame on the back uprights, put it back in, bent it back where I was comfortable, welded it up and put the cover back on. Eventually I wanted something more comfortable than the stock seats so I changed them out for Chrysler Sebring convertible seats.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2022 at 7:11am
If you raise the front of the seat (to get more recline), will you have more shifter interference on a 4 speed car? 
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic