TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cam + Crank Sprockets 196 OHV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblingcrosscountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cam + Crank Sprockets 196 OHV
    Posted: Jun/20/2022 at 10:51pm
I’m having trouble removing the cam and crank sprockets from my ‘64/‘65 cast iron 196 OHV. What’s the best way to remove them without breaking anything? I’ve pulled and pried but no movement yet. 
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2022 at 11:11am
I have used wood wedges. Still some risk of cracking the cam gear. Put wedges in two (or more, as needed) per side with the narrow ends facing each other, and each group 180 degrees out from one another.

You want to create an even force and not nudge the gear sideways. So tap the wedges together with  a measured, even effort going back and forth between sides. You are trying to 'walk' the gear off rather than pry it. The crank gear may be more difficult because there is less metal to get behind.

Edited by wittsend - Jun/22/2022 at 9:47pm
'63 American Hardtop
rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2022 at 10:35pm
 Could you put the wedges in and then use a little heat where the sprocket meets the crank? 
Japa109 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Japa109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2022 at 12:21am
Crank gear is quite easy!  Puller from Oreilly's or Autozone will do nicely.  Grab a 1/2"bolt.  CAM GEAR WARNING:  I have succeeded in breaking the front of a cam clean off while attempting gear removal.  I have found a 2 step process helps.  When they wont come off I crack the bolt loose a turn but leave it in place.  I then take Seafoam and place it on the shaft behind the gear.  I then whack the gear lightly with a ball peen hammer to shock the shaft and move seafoam into the gear/shaft joint.  I turn the cam 45 degrees and repeat until I have gone 360.  With this done, place 3 wooden wedges between the block and cam gear, I then tap the center bolt again, driving the shaft backwards relative to the gear

Japa 109
1963 American 2 dr wagon OHV-2V OD
1962 American 400 4 door OHV-2V Auto AC PS PDB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic