TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ignition Mystery! Please Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2022 at 3:24pm
when you grounded the plug to the battery, how long did the motor turn over, one revolution, two, three?
darnelld View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darnelld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2022 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by mstrcrftr mstrcrftr wrote:

when you grounded the plug to the battery, how long did the motor turn over, one revolution, two, three?

Actually  not sure. I just had my 13 year old daughter crank it while I was under the hood. As you can imagine I was distracted 😂
darnelld View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darnelld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2022 at 6:39am
As a update, it does look like the bowls were a bit gummed up. I was able to clean all the ports and pathways. I am not sure if this would cause my issue, but it is another data point. 
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2022 at 11:08pm
I didn't see where you may have tried to pour a little fuel down the carburetor to make sure its a fuel delivery problem.  Have you tried that?

On another thought, what's the possibility that the distributor hold down is loose enough to have turned while you were removing/installing the cap and tightening the intake bolts?  Give it a twist to make sure its secure.  Or maybe even check the timing while cranking just to be sure.
Bill O.
70 AMX
darnelld View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darnelld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2022 at 6:11am
Originally posted by troutwilly troutwilly wrote:

I didn't see where you may have tried to pour a little fuel down the carburetor to make sure its a fuel delivery problem.  Have you tried that?

On another thought, what's the possibility that the distributor hold down is loose enough to have turned while you were removing/installing the cap and tightening the intake bolts?  Give it a twist to make sure its secure.  Or maybe even check the timing while cranking just to be sure.

I didnt pour fuel down before I removed it to clean :/ I really should have. I did take plug one out and find TDC by using the “blow-the-finger” off method. I do feel like timing could be the issue. It ran fine the weekend before. I removed the distributor cap (maybe the distributor got turned?) to check the intake bolt torque and after that… Nada. It just wont turn over. 
Eddiebell View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddiebell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2022 at 6:41am
Well you already made sure you have spark but forgot to check fuel get some gas down the carb and try it then try it . Then if it wants to run check your fuel pump to make sure you're getting gas if the fuel pump is not working make sure to check your oil because there might be gas in it.
Kreep View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2022 at 9:16am
I feel like your terminology is hindering the troubleshooting process. Not being a dick, just trying to understand what you are seeing. You keep saying the engine won't crank which too me means the engine isn't turning over. Or maybe it's turning over once.

Like 6PakBee said, if you have fuel, spark, and compression the engine will run. After you get the carb on we will know it has fuel and spark (but unverified timing).

So that leads us to compression. If the engine cranks normally and it ran fine last weekend you probably have compression. If the engine cranks slow then the issue is likely a bad battery, starter or ground. If the engine cranks hard it is also slow but has a different sound, think high compression engine. We need to know how the engine behaves when you try to start it.

1982 Jeep CJ-7
http://theamcforum.com/forum/basically-stock-cj7_topic106501.html
https://irate4x4.com/threads/basically-stock-cj-7-update.383765/
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2022 at 4:05pm
I agree that terminology is likely keeping us from communicating effectively.

Where I grew up, the engine "cranks" and "turns over" whenever the starter engages the flywheel and causes the crankshaft to turn. The terms "crank" and "turn over" were synonyms for that action. 

If one or two cylinders fire while the engine cranks, but the engine fails to start, it was said that the cylinders that fire were "hitting." Sometimes engines only hit on certain cylinders due to fouled plugs, stuck valves, or other issues.

So what I think I'm getting out of this is that the engine DOES crank/turn over, but it either isn't hitting or isn't starting.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic