TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Modern alternative for Legion Light Blue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnx69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern alternative for Legion Light Blue
    Posted: Jun/13/2022 at 6:25am
As any of my local paint shops cannot mix almost any AMC paint codes, I need some kind of alternative. For frost white I found that Suzuki Olympos White (ORB) was quite good match. At least when I compared it to few places where original paint was saved.

I always have digged two tone paint combinations and frost white roof with legion blue body seems to be perfect classic combination. Okay, as I have to paint the whole car anyway, perfect match is not too critical, but at least similar tone would be good. All light blues that I have found yet, seem to be too bright or have slight green hue.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2022 at 8:09am
Do any of the paint suppliers have the ability to scan a color?
Do you have a piece available to carry in? There may be one close enough that you'd be hard pressed to find a difference.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2022 at 8:24am
My local PPG store has no problem mixing AMC colors. 
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

rnx69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnx69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2022 at 1:04pm
Well, here in Estonia, they only can mix maybe 5-6 newer colors and that's it. At least bigger paint suppliers are saying that they don't have any receipes for 60's colors.

Sure I could get some part and have it scanned with spectrometer, but... my car is actually fully Frost White (or mix of it and Suzuki Olympos White for some repairs almost indistinguishable from it) at the moment :)
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2022 at 6:14pm
Any shop should be able to mix the correct formula in PPG acrylic enamel.  If you are trying to mix in BC/CC or PPG Concept urethane, then no.
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2022 at 3:44pm
Older car colors are starting to get difficult to match and mix. I found from my PPG store that the interior color for my son's Gremlin is no longer available, by that I mean the base materials to make a formula is not available anymore. I had to pick another blue, close, but not exact, in single stage, to paint the interior of the car. 
I have been painting cars since the 70's, so when my jobber states he cannot get a perfect match for the color, and the reason, I accepted it at face value. Some colors are available, and some other colors are not. 
In the end we used the color gun from PPG to get a close match. (But it was not exact, so we painted everything on the interior of my son's Gremlin. No one has noticed the minor difference, so it's all good.)
Always be prepared to compromise when needed!!!!!
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

rnx69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnx69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2022 at 2:55am
We don't have a place here that can sell PPG acrylic enamels, all single stage paints are urethanes unfortunately.
Pokerchip View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokerchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2022 at 6:01pm
Try this website: https://encycolorpedia.com/233d61
It has helped my in the past when trying to find similar colours, at the very least it gives you an RGB and hex code to work off. I know that it doesn't directly translate to paint colours, but it could help.
1962 Rambler American 400 Convertible

1967 Rambler American 440 Sedan
rnx69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnx69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2022 at 6:26am
Originally posted by Pokerchip Pokerchip wrote:

Try this website:  https://encycolorpedia.com/233d61 - https://encycolorpedia.com/233d61
It has helped my in the past when trying to find similar colours, at the very least it gives you an RGB and hex code to work off. I know that it doesn't directly translate to paint colours, but it could help.

I already found that page, but for Legion Light Blue on it has some kind of magenta hue, not that greyish light blue tone. Legion Blue seemed to be quite a match on the other side.

Yesterday, I took some different photos and tried to estimate the correct color, one sample card from a online paint supplier, printed out on calibrated photo printer, gave a quite good match to different photos. After using spectrometer in paint shop, we found pretty good match from home interior paint catalogue and I let them to mix small amount to play a bit with sample pieces. Let's see what comes out :)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic