TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

195.6 water pump, seal and bearing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 195.6 water pump, seal and bearing
    Posted: Jun/12/2022 at 8:17pm
I'm trying to decide if I should rebuild my own pump or send it out. Anyone done this at home?

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2022 at 11:21pm
If anyone can, you’re one of them. 
rnx69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnx69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2022 at 12:49am
Seal replacement needs special tool.
I rebuilt it at my friends place, he is tractor mechanic and had all equipment needed. Sourcing correct bearing was more interesting task than sourcing seal (Valtra tractor seal was perfect fit). I found some universal bearing that I could cut shorter. Wasn't too complicated procedure and could be done if you have basic engineering skills.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2022 at 10:36am
Arthur Gould Rebuilders would be my vendor of choice.  I sent the a pig of an old pump and it came back at least as good as new.   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2022 at 4:48pm
Thanks Jmerican, lol, but sometimes it's the "easy" stuff that defeats! And "special tool", I don't want to hear that : - )

But thanks Joe I'll call Arthur Gould. They have been doing my fuel pumps, but even from them, they don't last in service. I'm convinced it is not their workmanship, but a materials problem. I think the rubber diaphragm stuff used in them is no longer used in automobiles, so they are using old stuff or some modern substitute. 

Water pumps should be straightforward though.

Egge (came up first in search) wants $180 to rebuild. Plus I gotta ship two ways, so that's an expensive pump. If that's what it is, it is...

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2022 at 3:30pm
 I can't account for the seal aspects, but a lot of  water pumps use a bearing common to farming equipment. Oddly while Corvairs are often herald for not needing a water pump the fan bearing is a water pump/farm equipment type (and yes, subject to failure). 

All the best in your search. On the Corvair I found a slightly shorter than typical but completely serviceable bearing at SKF. It was $18 and far below the $35-$40 charged by the vendors. You may need to search more by measurement than application for the 196 engine.
'63 American Hardtop
Hemirambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemirambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2022 at 8:52pm
While I have not yet rebuilt a 196 pump I have done others. I have run into what I assume are common issues, specifically the seal surface corrodes to the point it kills the seal. Depending on how bad it is I've restored that surface by simply chucking it in a lathe and taking a skim cut and worst case I've machined a shouldered spacer when the pitting is especially deep. Last one I did the bushing out of stainless. Its been going several years now so I have high expectations it may last a bit longer. I actually look forward to trying to rebuild one of my spares. If you can source the bearing/shaft and seal you're 1/2 way there. Best of luck!
1964 American Convertible (stock)
1964 American Hardtop (Not Stock)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic