TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

10si Alternator Conversion in ‘63 Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblingcrosscountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2022 at 6:55am
Thanks Tom - if I understand correctly, my actions would be as follows:

1. Run new 8 ga wire from alt primary lug to solenoid (battery positive cable connection)
2. Leave green/black wires from generator disconnected
3. Leave voltage regulator installed, with all terminals connected as found

Another '63 Cross Country owner who did this conversion shared an alternative method with me:

1. Run new 8 ga wire from alt primary lug to solenoid (battery positive cable connection)
2. Connected factory black wire (probably 14 ga originally on gen) to the alt primary lug
3. Disconnected all wires from regulator, connected said black wire to an orange+white wire originally connected to the regulator
4. Added ground wire from secondary alt lug to fender wall

When I reviewed the wiring diagram in my TSM, it looks like what he did allowed for the voltage sensing to correctly operate the gen light.

I'm curious if anyone can corroborate my understanding of the alternative method.

Thanks as always!

ramblingcrosscountry View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblingcrosscountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2022 at 10:28pm
I followed steps 1 - 3 below but didn't have enough wire to do step 4:

"1. Run new 8 ga wire from alt primary lug to solenoid (battery positive cable connection)
2. Connected factory black wire (probably 14 ga originally on gen) to the alt primary lug
3. Disconnected all wires from regulator, connected said black wire to an orange+white wire originally connected to the regulator
4. Added ground wire from secondary alt lug to fender wall"

This resulted in the gen light being on constantly when the ignition is "off" but the light turns off when I turn the ignition to either accessory or on.

I still need to add the ground wire from the alt to the fender, which I believe is what is causing this symptom.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2022 at 12:00am
Tomorrow I'll go look at my 60 -- I put a 10si in the gennie location. 

Over where the regulator was I installed a two-terminal strip (it looks exactly like the three terminal one for the front lights) and had to cut only one wire, which was crimped with another, to put a separate lug on it. 

The alt can drive the dash idiot light just fine. .
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblingcrosscountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2022 at 8:39am
Thanks Tom. I’m going to add the ground wire after work today and report back if that fixed the gen light problem - my hunch is yes. It’s a brand new alternator so I’d be surprised if it was the issue. 
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblingcrosscountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2022 at 6:36am
Happy to report that I got the alternator functioning correctly last night. Beyond adding a separate ground, I had not correctly wired the 1,2 mini terminals on the alt. This is done now, so the gen light functions as it should. The battery was at full charge as of this morning, so I believe I can close this item out. 

Thanks for all the input!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic