TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

crank damper, stupid question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: crank damper, stupid question
    Posted: May/27/2022 at 8:36pm
Does anyone have both a 195.6 OHV crank damper, and a 199/232/258 front crankshaft damper ("harmonic balancer") to check something?

I don't have a 199/232 damper, but I have a 195.6 OHV damper and a 199 crank -- the damper fits on that crank.

Also I know the front seal is the same part number.

Umm, are they interchangeable? 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2022 at 10:03pm
I would think you'd have to balance the rotating assembly somehow, because a newer 232/199 damper is not going to behave like a 196 damper.

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2022 at 11:36pm
The sixes are internally balanced (self balanced) only the V8s are externally balanced. So we should be good to go. 

Parts catalog has them as different.

Edited by tomj - May/27/2022 at 11:52pm

Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2022 at 10:24am
Even if it did fit it really *should* be a different damper. I do not have the data, but I expect a different crank length, stiffness, and weight, which would likely mean a different damping frequency.
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2022 at 11:32am
How does the seal fit? And where does the 199/232 balancer place the belt? The water pump, generator/alternator can easily be moved with modified brackets, shims etc.. If the seal works I'd say it is at least worth a try. You should know REAL FAST if there is a balance problem.

FWIW my early Corvair has a short stroke of 2.6" and it only has a pulley, no harmonic balancer. However when they enlarged the displacement it was all stroke at 2.94" and a balancer was used. Assuming the larger the stroke the greater need for a balancer the 196's 4.25" stroke likely makes it a necessity.
'63 American Hardtop
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2022 at 12:14pm
I'm mostly curious about this. I too assume the two motors need different damping, for different oscillations to damp. Do the 172 and 184 cranks have different masses? This is arcana we'll likely never know (and I will not research).

Your questions are def the correct ones. I don't even know if the OD is the same. I'll probably borrow a 232 damper and compare and photo.

I might actually call Damper Dudes on this, since I need to get one redone. 

There are some incidental commonalities between 195.6 OHV and the 232, like the front seal. The aluminum engine uses the 232 lifter (or vice versa, really). I'd guess (I'll measure) that v-belt alignment is the same simply because it makes it easier to spec out accessory stuff. 

Like how the 1960 wagon (and 61..63) American fuel tank pickup and sender is virtually identical to the 1990's Jeep CJ in-tank setup. Why change what doesn't need it?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic