TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lowering Plates + Wilwood Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lowering Plates + Wilwood Brakes
    Posted: May/26/2022 at 4:49pm
I have a ‘73 Javelin AMX with a Wilwood front brake setup. I found that the lowering plate appears to be incompatible with the caliper bracket supplied with the Wilwood kit. I haven’t found any good way around this just yet and will subsequently not be using them. Kinda bummed about it. 

As you can see from the pictures, the third set of holes is blocked by the caliper bracket.

ajzamc360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajzamc360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 6:08pm
Are your center 4 holes tapped?
-Broke 'N' $till $pendin' Racing
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 7:03pm
  This is my factory brake setup with the lowering plates.  Will a bolt head fit between the spindle and the wilwood brackets?  If so, then you can drill the wilwood bracket for the second set of holes.
  I'm sure that someone has done this.

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 7:05pm
If that doesn't work out and you want to keep the brakes, you might want to consider this option. https://theamcforum.com/forum/coil-over-conversion-advice_topic102353.html
You'll be able to set your ride height where you want it.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 11:50pm
One thing I was thinking I could do is put a spacer on the bolts that do go through—between the lowering plate and caliper bracket. That would give me room to put a nut on the holes that are currently block. It would push my wheels out, but I have 5” BS wheels on the front so that shouldn’t be a problem. I don’t know if that would be safe to do or not though. 
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2022 at 5:02am
Or make a set of 2" lowering plates with only 6 holes in them.  Then you don't have the extra set of bolts behind the spindle to worry about.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2022 at 7:57am
Drill and tap the caliper bracket
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2022 at 11:22am
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

Or make a set of 2" lowering plates with only 6 holes in them.  Then you don't have the extra set of bolts behind the spindle to worry about.

Mike

Are the 2” lowering kit designs on here somewhere? Can’t seem to find them. 
Billyfrank360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billyfrank360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2022 at 12:21pm

Did they send the proper caliper bracket?  This how mine lined up.

Billy

Edited by Billyfrank360 - Jun/02/2022 at 12:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic