TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Advance Auto sent Mopar KH Caliper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advance Auto sent Mopar KH Caliper
    Posted: May/26/2022 at 1:41pm
Just finished replacing a stuck caliper.  I go to hook up the brake hose and find the hole in the new caliper is too close to the upright!  Having read that Mopar calipers would work on our cars if not for the hose interfering with the suspension, I looked up the KH casting number off the new (rebuilt) caliper and sure enough, it's a Chrysler housing! Angry  I doubt they will take it back now that's all dirty.

The hole is off by about 1/2", so I guess if I went to an all rubber hose, instead of the OEM style (which I already bought!) where the last few inches is a steel tube, I might be able to bend the hose enough to get around the upright.  Otherwise, does anyone know of a slightly angled brake fitting that I could use on the caliper to position the hose away from upright?

Edited by CamJam - May/26/2022 at 2:00pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 10:07pm
After searching everywhere in our nearest town for an adapter or even a Mopar brake hose that I could use, I resorted to redneck engineering and bent the tube on the hose to get around the spindle.  I hate to Mickey things like this, but I have guys coming tomorrow to start a new driveway extension for me and the Jav was dead in the water and in the way.  Got Susan to help me bleed the brakes (which she HATES, lol) but it'll be good enough until the Speedbleeders arrive.

I should have known that finding AMC Kelsey Hayes calipers at a reasonable price was too good to be true!

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 10:10pm
It is good to know that there's a workaround for that fit. Josh Greenplate, I think, had pointed that out. But yes, the correct casting will have a rather large A on it for AMC.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 10:22pm
Thanks, Paul.  I remember hearing about that "A" before but had forgotten it.  Would have been nice to have looked for that before I installed it. Ouch

troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2022 at 6:13am
What about something like a 90* street lb.  You'd have to know the thread specs.  Found this on a quick search but there's plenty out there.  Probably some 45* also.
Bill O.
70 AMX
390amx1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2022 at 7:20am
Cam, I did the same thing, LOL.  If you ever find the right fitting please post back here as I'm sure many of us could use that info!
69 BBB 390 Tremec 5-speed AMX #13584 since 1978 (166,000 miles)
08 Zo6 Corvette
22 Ram 1500
24 CT5-V Blackwing #317
Yamaha Supercharged Jet Ski's
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2022 at 5:12pm
Mopar used what called a banjo fitting type hose , which uses a hollow bolt and two copper washers seals instead of one. The scarebird kit seems to used the same type of banjo bolt type fitting for brakes. AMC never to my knowledge ever used a banjo type brake hose, but Mopar did. The more standard AMC brake hose should work also. If I recall correctly on my 69 AMX I used the standard type AMC brake hose. The difference is on the AMC caliper the brake comes in on the back side with that straight hard pipe hose. Mopar uses the banjo type hose on the top of the caliper. I got a set of Mopar rebuilt calipers for my 69 AMX off an AMC vendor back in the day.
 LRDaum
LRDaum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic