TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 AMX VIN decode error?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 AMX VIN decode error?
    Posted: May/24/2022 at 11:02am
I am trying to confirm a vin number on a `70 AMX, most of it is correct on Eddie Stakes site, however the code doesn`t make sense as it should be an F 4speed manual but it shows as am M ?

Here is the important bit:-

A0M397P

AMC
`70
?  should be F - M was a Jeep 4spd left ?
AMX
2dr coupe
AMX
P - 360 4V

Anybody come up with an answer other than the guy with the stamps had a good lunch ? LOL
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 11:03am
"M" is the correct code for a 4 speed manual.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 11:16am
I know that F was a 3 speed manual floor shift in 1971 and 72, but BU1 is correct on the M for a 4 speed on the 70 AMX mentioned.
BBO UK View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 11:55am
Thanks for the confirmation, on Eddies site it gives these options, I won`t bother him with this apparent error as he just lost his wife. 

planethoustonAMX.com

3- Transmission Types (AMC)
   A- Automatic, Column Shift             F- Four Speed Manual
   C- Automatic, Floor Shift              S- Three Speed Manual

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 1:20pm
I'm not gonna look this up, but Eddie's info is only as accurate as the person's post, or website, that he copied it from.  
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 1:40pm
I am not familiar with the early AMC cars before AMX and Javelin, but I found an early decode that shows that "F" was a 4 speed manual with a console in 66, 67 & 68. The "M" was the 4 speed manual without a console then. I don't know what cars would have been available with a 4 speed and a console at that time, but not AMX. Somebody may have decided that since "F" denoted a 4 speed at one time (but with a console), then it still did in later years. It did not.
BBO UK View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 1:54pm
Appears to be an error on the website but he needs support rather than typo errors at the moment.

The `70 AMX is Bayshore Blue Metallic, black interior, was a 4-spd now a B/W Autobox & 360.

Thanks all.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic