TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Clutch springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timj5130@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch springs
    Posted: May/22/2022 at 4:10pm
Does anyone have experience setting up the clutch pedal linkage? I have a new return spring above the pedal and when I depress it it stays to the floor. It returns easy, and the bell crank linkage from the Z bar falls off the throw out arm. It also has a new spring.
I also obtained a new oil dip stick tube for my 343. It doesn’t seem to want to go
Into the block. Any advice!
Regards 
Tim Johnson 
Tim Johnson
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2022 at 5:04pm
The clutch TOB against the clutch is your return from the floor. Your clutch rod is not adjusted out long enough to stay in place and keep the TOB about 1/8" from the clutch fingers.
Replacement DST are always a problem. Originals work the best. I have this tool set of three and do not know what they are called:
Not this vendor, but sooo useful in necking down tubes like this. Have never used them on nuts or bolts.

Edited by Trader - May/22/2022 at 5:14pm
timj5130@gmail.com View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timj5130@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2022 at 5:53pm
Ok I’m an ex body man so I don’t know your mechanical acronyms. The spring I got for the inside, the heavy one, I got from blazers so it’s an OEM NOS.
So if I adjust the rod/linkage into the throw out arm that will correct it?
I appreciate your response.
Tim
Tim Johnson
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2022 at 5:57pm
From under the vehicle, you should be able to feel and measure the rod distance until the TOB stops. That is the 1/8" play you want for your mechanical linkage.
So Yes!
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timj5130@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2022 at 6:26pm
Please excuse my last of jargon- what is TOB?
Tim
Tim Johnson
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timj5130@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2022 at 6:28pm
Oh! Throw out bearing!!
Tim Johnson
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2022 at 7:56pm
Having a TSM and parts book for your car is an invaluable resource. Repro TSM's are available and there are sites with the parts books for free viewing. 

Technical Service Manual

Edited by BU1 - May/22/2022 at 8:10pm
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2022 at 10:23pm
DST is dipstick tube.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic