TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Drivers door latch 67 American

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostrider_32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drivers door latch 67 American
    Posted: May/15/2022 at 10:00am
Ok gents, need some advice. The coil spring on the inside of my drivers door latch assembly is broken. 9 times out of ten it closes PERFECT. Smooth, no slamming, no noise. Easier than some new cars. Occasionally (like last night where i spent three hours trying to get the door open) the latch will face higher than normal, and reverse lock itself into the door sticker. Does anyone know of someone who rebuilds the latch assemblys? I tried to adjust the striker, but the PO stripped the heads on the bottom two adjustment screws. 

Darth View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2022 at 11:31am
If your door is out of alignment it may just be the the door hinge pins are worn out. Worn out hinge pins can cause your door to sag.
 Another issue may be your latching assembly might be dried out and need lubrication.
I've rebuilt about 20 pairs of door since I been restoring old cars. I always have learned to do that first. After 30-40 years of use, doors are often overlooked.

Edited by Darth - May/15/2022 at 11:37am
06'A4 Audi Cabriolet, 2000 SL500
Ghostrider_32 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostrider_32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2022 at 3:39pm
I did clean and lube the latch up, used brake cleaner to remove the old gunk and lubriplate to relube it before install. It moves freely, ts just the tiny clock spring, that keeps the latch slightly downwards after you the door broke. When i got the car, the hinges were loose, and the door sagged. After tightening them back up, the door shuts smooth as silk, just sometimes the latch rotates up slightly and it you shut it, be prepared to curse for ten or so minites....
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2022 at 7:34am
I have replaced the spring successfully but it is crimped in and the metal is brittle. I have had failures, too. The spring on the driver’s door breaks because it is the most used door. 
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Ghostrider_32 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostrider_32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2022 at 2:37pm
Where did you get the replacement spring at if you dont mind me asking, and how did you uncrimp/recrimp the groove? I was thinking dremel tool to uncrimp, then jbweld or put a tack weld with the mig rig on it afterwards?
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2022 at 5:16pm
I used a back door latch as a parts donor. The latch is the same except it has no key provision. I carefully pried the crimped tongs open and closed. If you are careful and lucky, it works. Or it breaks. Then you have a broken one that works like what you have.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic