TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Your recipe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2022 at 9:36pm
OK, math geek admittedly, wife is caught up in a new book!
So here are the numbers, OP intake, guessing 9.0 to 9.5 SCR, etc:
Stock 502 heads with the above Comp roller cam, 354 HP @ 4200 RPM
Edelbrock heads, 440 HP @ 5200 RPM.
Making assumptions of a dual 2-1/2" exhaust, no headers as minor gain at 5200 RPM.
Cannot seem to point this out enough, but head flow on an AMC V8 is critical for performance. 

Edited by Trader - May/15/2022 at 9:39pm
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2022 at 1:18am
Since you’re running the calculator there Trader, how does the old standby Comp Magnum 270 H stack up, 270/270 adv, 224/224 @ 050, 480/480 lift. Maybe a bit more duration and a little less lift is the answer with factory heads?
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2022 at 6:45am
Comp 270H:
347 HP @ 4110 RPM 502 heads,
407 HP @ 4830 RPM Edelbrock heads
60 HP difference from 220 CFM that is posted on the Forum to 258 CFM posted on Edlebrock's web page @ 0.500" lift, all else being equal.

Port the iron heads and everything changes, need the flow numbers.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2022 at 7:01am
Not much in it then with the factory heads then, better heads look like the ticket help the roller cam take advantage of the higher lift to make more power, not unexpected really.

I'll be doing a back to back head comparison shortly, well I hope so anyway, depends if the weather holds out for me.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
ericdowneast View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericdowneast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2022 at 7:14am
Trader.  Were those 270 CC numbers on the Edelbrock heads assuming factory exhaust manifolds or headers?  Just curious.

Would love to see some data/ cam choices on building a good 400 HP street 360 (without headers if that is even possible) sometime too but don't want to hijack this thread.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2022 at 7:54am
Those are numbers with Free Flows. Most of the dyno sheets we have seen with and without headers are only 1 to 5 HP below 5500 RPM so unless then numbers show peak above this I don't calculate them in.

Start a new thread for ideas on a 400 HP 360. Give us a budget and what transmission your running and what your intended purposes are, fuel ..
Some reading that will likely answer a lot of you questions:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic