TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oil Pressure Temporarily Drops On Acceleration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2022 at 8:37pm
Shim the oil pressure relief spring and see what happens.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2022 at 10:20pm
 I would think that because the problem changes with angle of the pan up or down hill somehow the oil level goes down enough to effect pickup, if it was my engine the concern would be what RPM does the pressure dip happen and does the oil pressure drop low enough to cause bearing wear? That engine has a windage tray I would think crank whipped aeration would be low on the list as a cause. It would be interesting to see a video of what's happening I wonder if anyone has come up with of a drain plug fitted end scope camera that would be cool.

J

Edited by JGRANTAMX - May/17/2022 at 4:19am
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2022 at 5:36am
  I believe if you move the pickup to the aft center corner of the pan all will be good.
Gremlin Dreams
bwamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2022 at 9:06am
Nobody has asked I don't believe . Did you check or verify the location of the oil pickup to the bottom of the pan ?
73 Jav-AMX " The Black Widow"
358cu/in Crossram
T-10 9" Rear
68-73 amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2022 at 12:04pm
And you need 1/2 clearance pickup to pan with a Canton pan.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2022 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by bwamx bwamx wrote:

Nobody has asked I don't believe . Did you check or verify the location of the oil pickup to the bottom of the pan ?

Yes, used clay to measure and make sure it's not sitting against the bottom of the pan.

-Steve-
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2022 at 6:01pm
Regardless of all the hypothesis here, 40PSI is totally sufficient. Drive and don't worry about it
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2022 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Shim the oil pressure relief spring and see what happens.

If he has 56 PSI and it drops to 40 PSI when he floors it, please explain how the pressure relief spring is an issue?  (it's not)  It was just 56 PSI two seconds prior.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic