TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

M12 auto slip yoke?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M12 auto slip yoke?
    Posted: May/09/2022 at 5:34pm
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2022 at 11:33am
doesn't fit....:(

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2022 at 4:46pm
The OD should be 1.0625" for the slip yoke bearing.
IF the splines fit, then you could have the yoke turned and polished.
Not all 16 spline shafts and yokes fit the same, slight difference in the angles cut, fair warning.
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2022 at 6:56am
Yes the splines fit.
Looks like it is splined all the way in the shaft.
Looks like I could have it turned down to the needed OD which appears to be 1.75".
I'd have the end chamfered so it does not damage the seal on the way in or out.
I'd have it cut down to 3 1/2." The yoke went in smoothly then stopped at the stepped larger diameter .

For a given spline count And spline diameter, I don't see how different evenly spaced splines could differ since each spline appears to have compatible thickness to the corresponding notch. And only one side of the spline face is loaded during normal forward gear rotation. But it's a good point to consider. I'll post an update to what the local machine shop says. Thanks! 

Anybody reading, feel free to weigh in here!

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2022 at 1:54pm
Something was bothering me about the post and it's the math.
Your stating that a 1.375" OD yoke will not fit into a 1.75" bearing?
I believe what is happening is the 1.375" OD yoke is not fitting in the worn yoke bearing that measures 1.075".
Factory should be 1.0625" OD for the yoke and 1.0626" to 1.0627" ID for the yoke bearing installed.
You need a new yoke bearing also.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 12:32am
Originally posted by wantajav wantajav wrote:

For a given spline count And spline diameter, I don't see how different evenly spaced splines could differ since each spline appears to have compatible thickness to the corresponding notch.

I don't know the m12 yoke but AMC has created at least one logic defying yoke, for the T14 (passenger car trans). By every measurent it appears to be a Spicer part -- except the splines are NOT the same shape -- pyramidal and not rectangular. I had both in my hand as well as the trans and it was hard to see why both didn't work. Very strange decision by someone....

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic