TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Worn Stem Seals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worn Stem Seals
    Posted: May/08/2022 at 12:47pm
When I sent my head in to be rebuilt in 2020 (it was so badly warped it peeled up before all the bolts were out) I sent the shop the stem seals that came with my Felpro head gasket set so they could put those in while it was dismantled. They didn't note any wear with the old valve stem seals or the valves so they did the normal rebuild. (clean, level, leak test and the seals and sent it back two weeks later) I could see the seals had been changed. There were nice white umbrella caps visible through the springs.

I pulled the whole engine earlier this year due to a variety of reasons and sent it to be completely rebuilt at another machine shop here in town. No problems with the block (even the cylinders were still pretty much in tolerance) but it was a package deal so they went over the head again they found the new stem seals had worn down, which was probably explaining some of my smoking issues.

I can find only one mention pertaining to the 258 that there might be quality issues with the newer seals but no additional forums online seem to back this up so I dunno, were they incorrectly installed or is this a lesser known issue?
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2022 at 5:47pm
Use these seals   https://tinyurl.com/3v8ayymj

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2022 at 11:55pm
Don't those require the top of the cast guide to be cut? It's commonly done though, and cheaply. 
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2022 at 1:31pm
The ad is confusing because in the Overview it states they are an umbrella seal. But as noted those are a positive type seals that solidly mounts to the head and the valve slides through. The design of the inner opening allows for just the right amount of oil to get by.

An umbrella seal clings to the valve (not slides through) and basically as the name implies it merely shelters the valve/guide from flinging oil. Kind of like the difference between standing in the rain with an umbrella or standing in a phone booth (does anyone remember phone booths???, maybe out here on the 196 Island they do).
'63 American Hardtop
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic