TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Horsepower TV 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2022 at 1:43pm
I only do #4. Lot more fool proof then the valley line and provides a ring oil system that ensures oil volume to the back, #6 and #7 rods, besides being able to back feed the right gallery in time (hope & prayer) to shut the engine down if you loose oil pressure.

You gentlemen realigning the camshaft oil feeds also? 
Seems like it would be better that they are fed from the left to build an oil wedge just before the camshaft sees the most load. This would be a race engine only idea.

Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2022 at 4:16pm
Thats one big benefit!  To oil the cam from the left side for the reason you said. You dont have to worry about #1 cam journal because because the #1 cam bearing is already grooved 360 degrees. 
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2022 at 4:20pm
Installed a #1 feed on a 401 block a while ago. set up a thin wall brass tube for some press, countersunk the hole in the main saddle, flared the tube slightly and installed it with loctite on both ends. 

Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2022 at 4:56pm
Nice John.
Used to have a set of tube rollers for replacing small tubes on pump oil coolers. They would have been perfect for that type of work. Expanded the tube out from the inside. Go clockwise until you reached a torque value and then counterclockwise to retract and remove.
Could be used on brass, steel, SS.
Did some searching and cannot find a set of small tube rollers at all?
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2022 at 5:36pm
Sounds like a good tool. 

I started a single flare and taped it in. Not too much press the way I did it. Got a reamer within a couple thou if I remember correctly.   

Had to do some cleanup in the cam tunnel where the end protruded slightly into the through slot but nothing tricky 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
BBO UK View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2022 at 9:14pm
Always interesting, as we are on discussing a video, have you used this form of shotpeening ? WPC ?

I am wary of Youtube snake oil salesmen  LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F_PnPnQBMs

1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2022 at 7:35am
This video is old... They used to only have it available on their website... I'm glad to see they released it to you tube now. 

And I'd like to thank everyone for the spirited discussion because this was one of the first engine videos that got me interested in building a 360. 

Keep up the good work everyone. 
hacksaw1971 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2022 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

No, he missed a lot of detail which he found out the hard way and some that may eventually bite him.
Oil pouring out of the PCV hose..  We all know that you need the steel valley pan and a baffle under the PCV valve.  No brainer.
He didn't show any of the detail in regard to correcting oil flow through the timing gear.
He used a aftermarket timing cover. Hopefully he got lucky and has a good one.
In my opinion, he "fixed" oil passages that didn't need fixing.
I would have scrapped that crank and found a different one.
Also, calling it a street engine with 10.75:1 compression ratio is a stretch.  I guess he assumes that 110 octane fuel is easy to find.
what  "fixed" oil passages that didn't need fixing.  you talking about the 7/16 drill out or the plug on the drivers side with the 150k hole driled in it.   the idea of doing that has never crossed my mind.
its the little things that make the biggest difference
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic