TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine bay paint color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarbaby123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine bay paint color
    Posted: Apr/29/2022 at 5:33pm
Noodling about color paint my engine bay will be. Car is a 77 Hornet AMX in Alpine white. I really do not want to go with this color in the engine bay and just throwing it out into the AMC universe for ideas.  

Edited by Tarbaby123 - Apr/29/2022 at 5:35pm
idocars2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idocars2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2022 at 5:53pm
Well the choice is yours and what your trying to achieve with the car. My 77 AMX was Sunshine Yellow and not in bad condition so I just left it alone, since the rest of the car was original.

If your keeping the rest of the car original I like the engine compartment painted in matching body color. 
77 Hornet AMX 304
73 Hornet X 360
66 Rouge 290 4 spd
73 Mustang Convertible
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2022 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by idocars2 idocars2 wrote:

If your keeping the rest of the car original I like the engine compartment painted in matching body color. 

^^^^^^ This! ^^^^^^  Or spray it black like so many seem to do for some reason. Then you lose all contrast of color under the hood. Like staring into a dark hole. Like a GM car.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
Cruzer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cruzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2022 at 6:56pm
White is the perfect color. Not only is it original to your body color but it what the Trans-Am racers used. White is great for showing up problems. Any weld cracks show up and it's pretty hard to hide any leaks plus it's easy on the eyes when working on the cars. I agree that the black GM underhoods are dark to work on.

Mark Quasius
1972 Javelin-AMX
401 4-Speed
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2022 at 11:42pm
White is my favorite color for an AMC engine compartment. The color, or lack of color, really makes everything pop. Especially the early 70's AMC engine color.

Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2022 at 8:33am
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

White is my favorite color for an AMC engine compartment. The color, or lack of color, really makes everything pop. Especially the early 70's AMC engine color.

I agree..One of my favorite AMC features about AMC products was the engine compartment that matched the body color...few exceptions like shadow mask....A white engine compartment with the turquoise engine just really pops....I have 2 factory white cars and they are both done with the engines painted as original....Hard to beat...
Thankyou....Bob
Cloudyday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cloudyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2022 at 4:02pm
I almost did my Javelins firewall in satin black but ended up making it all Crush orange, no regrets, it looks great even with the turquoise colored v8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic