TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

72 AMX Javelin Pre-Production Prototype

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AMXJavProto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2024 at 4:19pm
That's a good observation and a good point.  Although I'm completely unfamiliar with MIS and it has likely changed somewhat in the 50+ years since the photo was taken, it seems likely that MIS being a D-Shaped oval Speedway would have a retaining wall on a banked curve as well as around the entire track perimeter which is not evident in this photo.  So this photo was not likely taken at MIS.
It may have been taken at a road course like Road America since road courses often have run-off areas on mildly banked curves.
But a likely candidate for the location of this photo would be at the AMC Proving Grounds in Burlington, WI.  Chrysler sold the facility to MGA Research Corporation in 1988, who uses the proving grounds for automotive, motorcycle, rail, and aircraft industries testing.  Online views of the facility still shows (not sure of the age of the image) that the majority of the original paved surfaces are still there, though in poor condition from lack of maintenance over the years.  From what can be seen of overall and closer views of some of the curves, it appears that road surfaces are similar to the photo, and the photo could have been taken at the AMC Proving Grounds.  Two images below for your evaluation.

garweb3 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2024 at 7:05pm
That would be my guess. I was able to take my Javelin around the test track back in the 90's. They have trimmed hedges that spell out AMC.
1974 Javelin AMX
1980 Spirit AMX
1987 Jeep Comanche Sportruck
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic