TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 AMC Rebel SST fuse and starter location

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arzola22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 AMC Rebel SST fuse and starter location
    Posted: Apr/09/2022 at 10:24am
Hey guys and gals, this is my first time on this forum so I’m hoping someone here has some knowledge on this car. I inherited by grandfather’s car last year. I’ve taken it out for some cruises around the neighborhood and done it’s regular maintenance to keep it running. Last month, I went to start it, and it started perfectly.  When I went to turn it off, the power cut off, but the car was trashing me from side to side because the engine was still somehow barley running. It eventually stopped after a couple seconds, but when I thought “huh, that was really weird, let me try to turn it back on”, I got zero electrical power. My battery is good, but I can’t find the location of the starter and fuze locations. Does anyone know?
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2022 at 10:39am
If you shut off the ignition switch, and the engine was warm or hot, there's a good chance you experienced 'dieseling', where the engine is halfway running on it's own-the fuel that gets to the cylinders is being ignited by a hot spot in the cylinder, rather than by the spark plugs and ignition system. It's not unusual in an old car.

That rough running though, must have shaken something loose. Look for the ground cable between the battery negative terminal and the engine block. Clean and tighten both ends of that real good. Then there should be a ground strap or cable from the engine to the frame (shorter). Do the same thing there. It won't be a fuse.

Your starter will be on the driver's side (if it's a 6 cylinder) and on the passenger side (if it's a V8). Get yourself a 1968 AMC Technical Service Manual so you can learn some basics about this car. Ask questions. Build some basic know-how, so you can manage a 54 year old car. Good luck!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Arzola22 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arzola22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2022 at 10:42am
Now that you’ve pointed out the fact about dieseling, that makes much more sense now. I forgot that was a thing. And I’ll check all the spots you’ve listed right now, thank you for the knowledge and tips!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic