TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine Diaper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2023 at 8:50am
Please post pics of the belly pan, I need to make one as well and I’d like to see how other guys are doing them.  Good luck.  
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2023 at 9:24am
Originally posted by brownspirit brownspirit wrote:

Please post pics of the belly pan, I need to make one as well and I’d like to see how other guys are doing them.  Good luck.  

I'm in desperate need go pictures myself, so that I know what to build WinkWinkWink, I thought I was smart getting the diaper.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2023 at 10:50am
There is a turbo Hornet build on yellowbullet, iirc the owner posted some pictures of what he did.  Good luck.  
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2023 at 1:25pm
I guess my race car has less interference since it is a full tube frame strut car. Under the car is wide open.

good luck
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2023 at 5:43pm
Life is a bit more of a challenge on a stock bodied car. I’m thinking of mounting it to the front transmission oil pan bolts and there are a couple of threads holes on the front of the block that might work for anchor points. Will have to run under the engine cross member.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2023 at 9:05am
Plan B, this is what I came up with:

Not sure how much oil it would contain, but hopefully it passes inspection tomorrow.

Oh, I ran out of paint too.

Edited by WesternRed - Feb/23/2023 at 9:08am
Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2023 at 10:54pm
I bought a universal one from Summit. Its been on the car for about 8 or 9 years. fits ok and no melting. Stock bodied/front end AMX with motor plate and big tube headman headers. 
69 AMX 9.86 132 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, .. NAMDRA member #1106
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2023 at 11:21am
Running the cam in was the final straw that finished it off, also had to replace the shifter cable, so maybe I need to look at some better header options.

amx600rr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx600rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2023 at 6:04am
Did the pan pass the tech inspection?  Any issues that you would change?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2023 at 6:36pm
The pan passed tech for this event, which was basically that you tried to do something. The oil containment requirement was a "street outlaws" event organizer requirement and not part of our local technical regulations for the level that I run at. Scrutineer did say that he didn't think it would do much as far as oil containment goes, but was happy that I had something.  If you windowed the block, oil would go everywhere, but it might be effective if you just windowed the oil pan.

I have already taken it off the car as it's a complete pain not being able to jack up the car from under the engine crossmember, so this is something to keep in mind. It also hangs a little low to the ground, I think NHRA regs require the sides to be at least 2", so the cutouts under the cross member are 2" tall. If it goes back on, I would modify it so that the slope at the front starts further back. I think if you did a big wheelie with it and it hit the ground when the car came back down, it would probably tear the oil pan off the transmission and make a bigger mess that it was intended to prevent.

To work effectively, I think you would really need some upper wings, that could be bolted onto the engine behind the engine mount brackets to direct any oil from a windowed block down into the tray below.    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic