TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Two Mystery Wires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeebieJeebie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two Mystery Wires
    Posted: Mar/28/2022 at 12:19am
Hey all, I'm just going over my engine bay of my 72 Gremlin 304 3 sp manual. I'm looking at two mystery wires. The first:
has what appears to be a 2 prong plug at the engine bay end and leads down towards the transmission. It plugs into
the transmission right by the shift linkage. As per photo.

The second is a light brown wire which goes through the firewall and plugs into the fusebox. It's to the right of the red 
crimped one. There is a tag wrapped around the wire under the dash which has a number but I can't seem to find its meaning. See 2 photos.

You alone can dictate Karma.
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2022 at 6:45am
The one on the trans is for the reverse/back up lights.

The brown wire is for one of the accessories that was installed way back when.  If you look closely the fuse panel has the connector imprinted on it and you may be able to see what that wire leads to.   Somebody here may have the parts book with the part number for the wire.

kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2022 at 6:58am
Transmission is for the transmission controlled spark system.

The brown wire could be several things, but is likely also part of the TCS system.

I recommend picking up a TSM for you car as it will have the complete wiring diagram for the car which is a big help in maintaining these older cars.
AMO Newsletter Editor
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2022 at 9:42am
did the car come from california?
HeebieJeebie View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeebieJeebie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2022 at 10:31am
Yes as a matter of fact, its original birth place was California. I suspect you're about to inform me of something specific to California such as the different engine block color. I await with bated breath. 
You alone can dictate Karma.
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2022 at 1:00pm
painted red and the land of whats had their own regulations when it came to emissions. as my 72 same set up did not have the switch.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic