TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain > Eagle and Jeep Specific drive-train issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine, Transmission setup.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firecopemt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine, Transmission setup.
    Posted: Mar/21/2022 at 9:53pm
I want to mate a 1972 401 to a t176 4 speed in an 85 Jeep CJ7. Right now, the T176 was just freshly rebuilt and is mated to a 151 4 cylinder, and has a hydraulic reservoir on the top near the firewall, and another down near the bell housing. Which bell housing do I need, and what size clutch disk should I use? Also, should I change from hydraulic to rigid parts (IE solid clutch linkage, with the arm protruding from the left side of the bell housing, the pivot ball, etc) Please let me know ASAP as I'm getting ready to put this together. Thanks for the help.
Heywood Jablomi
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2022 at 7:14am
This is tough.   Do you know if the 151 was the Audi or the GM version?  You would need a Jeep CJ bellhousing from a I-6 or V-8 application (82-86) and probably need to swap to a manual clutch linkage.  I don't know if the input shaft length on the T-176 from a 4 cylinder will be the right length.   It may need to be swapped with the input from an I-6 or V-8 application.

For clutch, Factory CJ was 10.5", you can use 11" from a Jeep pickup or Wagoneer application. 

You'll also need different motor mounts, all the way from the frame to engine.  I had a set from M.O.R.E. (Mountain Off-Road Enterprises) in my CJ.  Loved them.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic