TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Time for a new project - '73 Javelin 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2023 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by ArtHooligan ArtHooligan wrote:

Your project is awesome. I'm glad I found this post too. I had the tank from my 64 990 cleaned, fixed, and resealed but even with a new sending unit it's still off. The stock gauge reads until about 1/2 full and then it taps out. Going to Google "Auto Meter fuel bridge" and see if there's some backup I can run too.

Thanks Joseph! FYI, I tried both the Auto Meter and the MeterMatch and I prefer the latter.  Check out this thread:

'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

ArtHooligan View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtHooligan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2023 at 4:05pm
Oh, this is gunna be a good read! Thank ya! Thumbs Up
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2023 at 1:38pm

A few posts ago I mentioned the Bluetooth stereo setup that I was putting into the trunk.  The Pioneer speakers I installed in this car were a big improvement over the recycled Ford Focus speakers that I had in my '72 Javelin, so I decided to upgrade the '72 as well.  In the process of doing that I realized that for an extra $100 or so I could add a subwoofer.  Amazon has a really nice Bluetooth amp with a built-in crossover and a subwoofer output, so I bought one to try.  It sounded so good that I upgraded the amp in both cars and added a subwoofer as well.

The 5-1/2" Pioneer speakers mentioned earlier fit the holes in the rear package tray perfectly, but since the '72 had already been modified for 6-1/2 inch speakers I bought 6.5" speakers for that car.  Both systems sound great, but the 6.5" speakers give a little more bass, as you would expect.  With a subwoofer installed, the difference is minimal.

The 6.5" subwoofer fits easily enough into the center hole of the package shelf, which I guess the factory used to mount a rear window defroster fan.  I first cut a speaker hole into a 12" square piece of birch, and then attached the wood to the shelf using the factory mounting holes, so no drilling into the body was necessary.

The amplifier has a separate volume control for the subwoofer as well as a crossover frequency control.  I bought two of them on Prime Day for about $70 each.  The controls on this amp allow you to really tailor the sound to your preference.  Speakers in the door would enhance it even more, I'm sure, but I have no plans to do that as I'm really happy with how both systems sound. Also, this amp has an external Bluetooth antenna, so the range is considerably better than the old amp, which would sometimes cut out if I placed the phone too far away from the receiver.

Edited by CamJam - Jul/28/2023 at 1:50pm

ArtHooligan View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtHooligan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2023 at 7:40pm
Just finished a blue tooth set up in mine too. Can't wait to see more pics of your system and set up!
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2023 at 10:47am
I knew that this car was early production in the '73 model year from the door tag production sequence number of 000390. When someone posted their valve cover tag on Facebook yesterday it reminded me that I had never checked mine, which translates to August 7th, 1972. Know what else happened that day? It was the first day of the 1973 model year run!

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2023 at 11:58pm
The project is finally getting back on track after the summer hiatus.  The engine internals have been balanced and it's going back together with the following specs:

The original 360, now w/ .030 overbore (366 cu. in.)
Wiseco forged pistons (21 cc dished, which should work out to around 9.4:1 CR)
Summit 8600 cam
Roller rockers
Edelbrock Performer intake 
Stock free flow exhaust manifolds
Holley 4160 600 cfm 4-bbl

Gotta finish painting the '72, then paint Susan's Prius (which I promised to do for her birthday), put the engine back in this car, plus we're headed out on a motorhome trip to the SF Bay area to visit the daughter for Thanksgiving, so the next few months will be busy.

Edited by CamJam - Sep/22/2023 at 12:18am

Johnvelin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnvelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2023 at 2:54pm

in one of your posts you mentioned:
I also fixed the sagging driver's door glass, courtesy of forum member Buster Pile's (SceneOne) awesome Delrin replacement parts.  What a great upgrade, and really great of Buster to make them available to us.

I can't find him on the forum, do I get ahold of Buster?
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2023 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Johnvelin Johnvelin wrote:

in one of your posts you mentioned:
I also fixed the sagging driver's door glass, courtesy of forum member Buster Pile's (SceneOne) awesome Delrin replacement parts.  What a great upgrade, and really great of Buster to make them available to us.

I can't find him on the forum, do I get ahold of Buster?

Buster is "Scene One" on this forum.  The old thread below might help you.  You'll have to scroll down to page 6 to see Buster's first post where he offered to recreate them.  Not sure whether he still has them available or not.  I bought mine from him a couple years ago.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223
  Share Topic