TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

After Market Front Suspension

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beno48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2022 at 12:57pm
Thanks. I appreciate that insight. this is exactly why i signed into this forum!

Beno
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2022 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Beno48 Beno48 wrote:

Bill,

What tilt column did you get from Flaming River?

Beno

From my spreadsheet:
Steering Column, Flaming River, 33" Muscle Car, Blk Powder Coat, # FR300010BK.
Stramp Clamp, Flaming River, Column Mounting Bracket, # FR20300.
Steering Coupler, Ididit, 1"DD x 3/4"DD, # 3000315249 (from Jeg's).

CF supplies everything needed to connect the column to the rack.  Its been a while but I think the D-rod goes up into the column a bit but still needs cutting.  CF instructions are very good on this.  The stramp clamp bolts the column to the dash. You just need to figure out (measure) where to install it.  Same for the firewall penetration...used original bracket.

The suggestion about getting a used column with cruise and dimmer switch is good.  I'm still using the floor dimmer and had to cut/grind/file some extra space at the turn signal lever to make room for the cruise wires.  Fishing the cruise control wires down the column wasn't fun.

As for the steering wheel mount, I've had an after market steering wheel on the car forever and the adapter transferred OK.  Possibly Grant stuff.

And finally, now that I'm rehashing this, the Flaming River purchase wasn't trouble free.  The first time it arrived the key switch was damaged.  I had to send it back and they repaired it instead of replacing the whole column.  And I've had to adjust the ignition switch because it wouldn't engage "start."  There is a small rod that pulls the electrical contactor when you turn the key. I had to move the switch farther down the column to get it to start.
Bill O.
70 AMX
Beno48 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beno48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2022 at 10:15am
Thank you Bill
Beno
1970 AMX 390
1964 Impala SS
ajgiii View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ajgiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2022 at 10:56pm
I also installed the CF suspension on my 71 Javelin.  Al Kamhi at CF is SO GREAT.  He's very generous with his time, answering Qs, and even parts support.   

If someone installs the R/P steering and gets a high pitched "zing" type sound from the steering somewhere in the lock-to-lock range, it is due to is a combination of the new (read: modern day) pumps and small diameter, relatively short steel braid hoses.

It isn't the rack.  A hydraulic pressure wave causes the noise.  The new pumps are not as damped as the old ones were, and larger, longer hoses will dampen the pressure wave. I went to larger diameter, longer hoses and the noise went away.  I noticed that having tried 4 different pumps, my ol' GM P/S pump (off a 73 Javelin) worked the best. It had large diameter hoses. The pressure hose also had a mid-length connection that I suspect was purposely installed to interrupt the pressure wave.  Jeff at Turn One worked for GM and conveyed some of the above info.

I conveyed the solution to Al, and while I was figuring it out, he went to a variable pressure pump, and I think he changed the hoses, too. 
johnv View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 2:31pm
Control Freak Front IFS works great as an update to 60's suspension limitations.  Drove one modified with CF IFS and presently I'm modifying my 70 AMX for the same.
johnv View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 2:36pm
With the new Control Freak IFS brakes were upgraded to Wilwood 6 piston 14" rotors and all steel braided lines.

Al at CF was easy to work with and provided considerable support during ordering process  
johnv View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 2:37pm
Converting to Rack and Pinion steering improves steering and provides for much better handling
Canadianrogue View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canadianrogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2024 at 11:53am
I am on the hunt for a front suspension on my 66 Rogue. I aim to build a street car that I can race at Auto X and Drag events. There is lots of helpful info on this thread, but there have been some changes as I can't find a few manufacturers previously mentioned.

I have been looking at two systems primarily, Control freaks and Dairyland, both are currently manufacturing kits as of Jan 2024. I'd love some input from people who have tested these systems and what application you have tested them in. 

Control Freaks IFS
Pros: Updated rack and pinion steering (power and manual), sway bar, direct bolt-in, all suspension load being transferred to the Frame/K-Member, ability to choose multiple engine mounts for your application or future swap, CF has a fantastic reputation for customer service.
Cons/concerns: Limited suspension travel.

Overall, it looks like a great kit. My question is, will 4.1" of travel be sufficient for the above applications? Has anyone used their kit in a drag racing application or Auto X? Do you have any complaints about rod end vs poly bushings?

Dairyland Fab - Stage1 and Stage2 kits
Pros: Affordable coilover swap, bolt-in, no need to replace existing K-member, suspension travel looks to be increased to 5."
Cons/concerns: I have read some criticism that the Ramber was not designed to support the full load of the suspension, no sway bar option, and no rack and pinion option.

Above are just a few details I have gathered. I would love your feedback on what I still need to include and if there are any other options I should look at. Anytime geometry is being changed, performance can be impacted, for the good or bad. What is your experience?
70,71,72 AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,71,72 AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2024 at 1:51pm
I installed the Dairyland kit in my '67 American. ('67 American, in member projects) I boxed the lower control arms due to the concerns of having the spring mounted to it. I also modified a Hornet sway bar for it. I put about 1200 miles on it last summer and it drove great. No issues, no noises, nothing loosened up.
I drive my stuff kind of hard and am very happy with it. Looking forward to driving it with more power and a better transmission.
Bruce in NW Ohio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic