TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pulled spark plugs to find the mis....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2022 at 7:45am
I'm glad you found the issue also! A cracked head will cause a "traveling intermittent misfire" as enough water gets pulled in to occasionally kill the spark. Usually more than one combustion chamber has cracks when this happens. I've never seen a cracked 196 head with cracks in only one chamber though. When it cracks there are multiples! It will run on for a long time with small cracks... right until it's finally run a bit hard (or overheated) and the cracks open up further!
Frank Swygert
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2022 at 7:37pm
Tomj-thanks for the excellent compliment! 
trout willy- yes the engine has been running while setting timing but I didn't know there was a method to aiming the timing light at the balancer while twisting the dist.
Lakeside ramblr - I'm dying to finally drive this car too after all this work!!! Beleive me, I'm the one person besides you that's dying to know, when I do, ill let you know brother! 
Softbuster-  " what's next on the agenda?" well after figuring out the weld through primer situation, before I even knew about weld through primer I was using regular primer and paint, and watched it get destroyed thinking "huh, don't know what I'm supposed to do about that problem" yesterday I used "dominion seal" brand, and it was a copper type, and I calmly watched the heat from the welder blast it to holy helll, so now I'm going to try and use VHT brand, and go from there. I got lots more welding to do, "crazy fabricating" is what someone told me I will have to do when I weld the bottom part of the cavity, (weird double floor near end of drivers and pass side of floor) while lying on my back under the car outside, welding that close to my face for more then two hours at night was crazy. Hope I don't run into any more problems with the welding department, it's not a easy job. 
Farna- the head was magnetic partial checked for cracks but it was of course cold at the time, you mentioned cracks can be more noticeable when the cyl head is hot... Fingers crossed..... 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Mar/03/2022 at 7:39pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2022 at 7:44am
If it was checked cold that's fine -- the magnetic process finds them even cold.
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2022 at 4:25pm
Cool, well, I suppose this concludes the business surrounding this post's topic, thanks for all your advice guys!
-tom. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2023 at 7:26pm
I've just re- read this and wonder why I'm now seeing the engine shudder again with what I think must be a misfire... and I was so happy to find the problem solved last year.. this car is burning me out.

Anyways, maybe the timing chain wasn't put on right by the engine builder and the valves aren't in sync? Just looking through my old posts for the sequence of which valves under which rocker arms are the intake and exhaust... 

nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2023 at 7:48pm
Rambler valves
int .012
exh .016
hot

FRONT  IE EI IE EI IE EI  REAR
        1  2  3  4  5  6
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2023 at 8:46pm
Thanks man, the tsm has a method for checking the timing chain by process with seeing the exhaust valve doing its thing at tdc, I'll work on checking that out, thanks again for posting the info for me... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic