TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aftermarket support

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2022 at 11:02am
Aftermarket support/performance parts for the AMC 343 (gen2 AMC):

Decent amount

1966-1969 Gen2 AMC engines are left a little bit out in the cold for off the shelf parts
 compared to the Gen3 1970-1991's,
 but just about any gen3 part can be made to work on a gen2

Intakes ->
                lots and lots available
               Edelbrock, Offy, Holley, Indy, tons of intakes were made for Gen2/3 AMC's,
               the primary difference being Gen 3 engine blocks have a slightly taller deck height, and
               the two inner intake manifold bolts were relocated slightly to keep from swapping
               between the gens and having a (slight) port alignment, or sealing issue.

Any machine shop can shave a gen 3 intake slightly and move the bolt holes
               to make the more widely available Gen3 intake properly fit a Gen2

It's 2022, and the parts crunch we're in has made almost everything limited of course
               sad because theres a newish AMC Victor intake out there, but unavailable now.

Cams ->
              No difference between Gen2 & Gen3 cams & almost anything you could want is available

In 2021/2022 people have said blanks are nonexistent, I haven't tried to order one lately
            but a few years ago I think a custom flat tappet from Howards took under 2 weeks to get
            and everyone has (had) off the shelf cams at one time or another.

Roller cams have been a big debate here off and on over the years with good roller lifters
            being available, then not available, then solutions found.
            I don't know what the current best roller lifters are, or if they're available,
            but again, in 2022 they're probably in short supply, or people are waiting for them

Aftermarket Heads ->
          Indy and Edelbrock both make aftermarket Gen3 heads that work on Gen2's.

Gen 3 heads have 1/2" head bolt holes & dogleg exhaust ports = better
          it wouldn't make sense to make an aftermarket Gen2 head (square exhaust port) when the
          3's are so much of an improvement and bolt right on (with headbolt centering adapters for
          the 7/16" Gen2 head bolts).
          Indy also makes a race head with Chrysler Big Block exhaust ports
          but it is also designed around the Gen3 head design.
          Again, in 2022, I don't know how long you'll wait for any of this stuff.

Aftermarket Cranks & Blocks ->
                  Aftermarket cranks can be made from Billet up to 4"+ stroke

Factory 390 & 401 cranks are all forged and drop into 290/304/343/360 blocks
                  (clearancing & 390/401 spec rods are necessary)   

Except for some very special (rare!) race pieces,
                  all 290/304/343 & 360 cranks are cast iron
                  (even the ones with "ArmaSteel" cast into them)
                   The cast AMC cranks are decently strong though
                   290/343 = 3.28" stroke   304/360 = 3.44" stroke
                   FWIW,
                   there are two types of factory cranks:
                   Flat flange 1966-1971
                   Stepped flange (for Chrysler autos) 1972-1991

Indy makes an Aluminum block, but it doesn't have motor mount bosses

Gen 3 1970 390 & 1971+ 401's (4.165" bore) have beefier blocks compared to
                  290/304 (3.75" bore)  & 343/360's (4.08" bore)
                   but 390/401 blocks don't take overboring as well as the 4.08" and especially the
                   3.75" blocks.
                   There were batches of special race blocks, and Service Blocks with the bottom
                   end beef of a 401 block, and the smaller bore of a 360
                   but those are all tough to find.
                  2022 availability = ??

Aftermarket Pistons ->
               Yes, off the shelf 360 cast, or forged Wiseco pistons can work in a 343
                anything else you could ever want is available in custom forged

Aftermarket Rods ->
                Factory 290/304/343/360 rods are decently strong for CAST rods

there's ample aftermarket forged replacements available, for both stock
                replacement, or custom applications
                factory 390/401 forged rods have a different length, pin size and big end width,
                and are designed for 390/401 cranks, so they're not worth the effort to fit in a 343
                unless you were also using a 390/401 crank
                As always. 2022 supply issues can increase wait time on aftermarket rods

Almost all non-performance parts have been available aftermarket,
 but since we are such a small niche, quality control and availability sometimes suffers.

Examples:
 Timing chain covers
 good quality used covers are the gold standard, some aftermarket covers have worked ok
 and some have been machined wrong (distributor hole mostly) and caused issues.
 Typical offshore quality control problems mostly I think

Timing chain sets
 you have to check the location of oil holes, no matter what brand name is on the box

Lifters
Chrysler spec is slightly smaller than AMC spec (like .904 vs .903), sometimes the clearance
 becomes an issue, affecting oil pressure and parts durability
Quality control has been a problem as well, but that's not limited to AMC's
The world has moved on to roller cams, and it shows in the smaller market of
 flat cams getting overlooked as parts quality suffers.

Distributor gear sets
 Gen2/3 AMC cams have a bolt on distributor gear (and fuel pump eccentric)
 just like the timing chains, the factory parts are the gold standard, and aftermarket
 can be anything from the wrong pitch, to too hard, to too soft.
 I don't know what the current most popular aftermarket solution is,
 MSD was held in  pretty good light for a while, but I'm not sure now
A nice factory matched pair of used cam and distributor gears still seems the
best bet

Under normal conditions,
Gen2/3 AMC V8's are a pretty decent alternative to brand X engines.

They like tighter main and rod bearing clearances,
 and the external oil pump in an aluminum housing isn't the design I would have liked.

Also, most of the newer engine technology (improved bearing material, roller cams, modern fuel
 injection, etc) has taken longer, or required clever solutions to use before it trickles down to us,
 but the basic engine design is sound, the blocks are strong (even the 290/304/343/360's),
 and the heads are among the best of their times, for small block engines.

There's other stuff too,
 but I have to go shovel snow outside now lol

Edited by jpnjim - Jan/29/2022 at 11:07am
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Bill Mitchell View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Mitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2022 at 11:53am
TRADER, AMC did put the 343 V8 in an American in '67.  They built about 500 of them.  There was an "X" in the VIN so they were called the "X" cars.
Bill Mitchell

trewyn15 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trewyn15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2022 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by A.R. Headers A.R. Headers wrote:

Originally posted by trewyn15 trewyn15 wrote:

Define support.. lol

There's cam options out there for the 327, plenty of aftermarket replacement parts.  Gen 2/3 intake manifolds are easily fitted to the Gen 1 Engines if you're good at cutting a little aluminum.

You can port just about anything on the engine and return decent results.  Only thing you're missing really is headers and a good fabricator should be able to make them up.

Gen 2/3 definitely have more out of the box items available.

I'm not 100% sure but if your 327 is in an American, we may have headers for you. We do have flanges for the early square port flanges in stock. 

Nick

It's in the bigger body Classic car, I don't believe there have been headers made for my car in some time.  I do believe back in the 60s and 70s there were a couple of options, but those are probably few and far inbetween these days.
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Night Edition
2000 Trans Am WS6
1989 Trans Am GTA
1989 Grand Prix ASC/McLaren
1983 AMC Concord DL
1966 AMC Rambler Rebel Classic
Repsolroger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Repsolroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2022 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

Aftermarket support/performance parts for the AMC 343 (gen2 AMC):

Decent amount

1966-1969 Gen2 AMC engines are left a little bit out in the cold for off the shelf parts
 compared to the Gen3 1970-1991's,
 but just about any gen3 part can be made to work on a gen2

Intakes ->
                lots and lots available
               Edelbrock, Offy, Holley, Indy, tons of intakes were made for Gen2/3 AMC's,
               the primary difference being Gen 3 engine blocks have a slightly taller deck height, and
               the two inner intake manifold bolts were relocated slightly to keep from swapping
               between the gens and having a (slight) port alignment, or sealing issue.

Any machine shop can shave a gen 3 intake slightly and move the bolt holes
               to make the more widely available Gen3 intake properly fit a Gen2

It's 2022, and the parts crunch we're in has made almost everything limited of course
               sad because theres a newish AMC Victor intake out there, but unavailable now.

Cams ->
              No difference between Gen2 & Gen3 cams & almost anything you could want is available

In 2021/2022 people have said blanks are nonexistent, I haven't tried to order one lately
            but a few years ago I think a custom flat tappet from Howards took under 2 weeks to get
            and everyone has (had) off the shelf cams at one time or another.

Roller cams have been a big debate here off and on over the years with good roller lifters
            being available, then not available, then solutions found.
            I don't know what the current best roller lifters are, or if they're available,
            but again, in 2022 they're probably in short supply, or people are waiting for them

Aftermarket Heads ->
          Indy and Edelbrock both make aftermarket Gen3 heads that work on Gen2's.

Gen 3 heads have 1/2" head bolt holes & dogleg exhaust ports = better
          it wouldn't make sense to make an aftermarket Gen2 head (square exhaust port) when the
          3's are so much of an improvement and bolt right on (with headbolt centering adapters for
          the 7/16" Gen2 head bolts).
          Indy also makes a race head with Chrysler Big Block exhaust ports
          but it is also designed around the Gen3 head design.
          Again, in 2022, I don't know how long you'll wait for any of this stuff.

Aftermarket Cranks & Blocks ->
                  Aftermarket cranks can be made from Billet up to 4"+ stroke

Factory 390 & 401 cranks are all forged and drop into 290/304/343/360 blocks
                  (clearancing & 390/401 spec rods are necessary)   

Except for some very special (rare!) race pieces,
                  all 290/304/343 & 360 cranks are cast iron
                  (even the ones with "ArmaSteel" cast into them)
                   The cast AMC cranks are decently strong though
                   290/343 = 3.28" stroke   304/360 = 3.44" stroke
                   FWIW,
                   there are two types of factory cranks:
                   Flat flange 1966-1971
                   Stepped flange (for Chrysler autos) 1972-1991

Indy makes an Aluminum block, but it doesn't have motor mount bosses

Gen 3 1970 390 & 1971+ 401's (4.165" bore) have beefier blocks compared to
                  290/304 (3.75" bore)  & 343/360's (4.08" bore)
                   but 390/401 blocks don't take overboring as well as the 4.08" and especially the
                   3.75" blocks.
                   There were batches of special race blocks, and Service Blocks with the bottom
                   end beef of a 401 block, and the smaller bore of a 360
                   but those are all tough to find.
                  2022 availability = ??

Aftermarket Pistons ->
               Yes, off the shelf 360 cast, or forged Wiseco pistons can work in a 343
                anything else you could ever want is available in custom forged

Aftermarket Rods ->
                Factory 290/304/343/360 rods are decently strong for CAST rods

there's ample aftermarket forged replacements available, for both stock
                replacement, or custom applications
                factory 390/401 forged rods have a different length, pin size and big end width,
                and are designed for 390/401 cranks, so they're not worth the effort to fit in a 343
                unless you were also using a 390/401 crank
                As always. 2022 supply issues can increase wait time on aftermarket rods

Almost all non-performance parts have been available aftermarket,
 but since we are such a small niche, quality control and availability sometimes suffers.

Examples:
 Timing chain covers
 good quality used covers are the gold standard, some aftermarket covers have worked ok
 and some have been machined wrong (distributor hole mostly) and caused issues.
 Typical offshore quality control problems mostly I think

Timing chain sets
 you have to check the location of oil holes, no matter what brand name is on the box

Lifters
Chrysler spec is slightly smaller than AMC spec (like .904 vs .903), sometimes the clearance
 becomes an issue, affecting oil pressure and parts durability
Quality control has been a problem as well, but that's not limited to AMC's
The world has moved on to roller cams, and it shows in the smaller market of
 flat cams getting overlooked as parts quality suffers.

Distributor gear sets
 Gen2/3 AMC cams have a bolt on distributor gear (and fuel pump eccentric)
 just like the timing chains, the factory parts are the gold standard, and aftermarket
 can be anything from the wrong pitch, to too hard, to too soft.
 I don't know what the current most popular aftermarket solution is,
 MSD was held in  pretty good light for a while, but I'm not sure now
A nice factory matched pair of used cam and distributor gears still seems the
best bet

Under normal conditions,
Gen2/3 AMC V8's are a pretty decent alternative to brand X engines.

They like tighter main and rod bearing clearances,
 and the external oil pump in an aluminum housing isn't the design I would have liked.

Also, most of the newer engine technology (improved bearing material, roller cams, modern fuel
 injection, etc) has taken longer, or required clever solutions to use before it trickles down to us,
 but the basic engine design is sound, the blocks are strong (even the 290/304/343/360's),
 and the heads are among the best of their times, for small block engines.

There's other stuff too,
 but I have to go shovel snow outside now lol

when i was reading this ... the words started to metamorphis into $$$  $$$$$  $$$ $$$$  390 $$$$$  cam $$$$ wait 6 months $$$$$  aluminum cylinder heads $$$$$ $    just teasing you .. but like the motorcycle guy from the first mad max...speed is just a question of $$$$
1969 sst javelin restomod
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2022 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Repsolroger Repsolroger wrote:

when i was reading this ... the words started to metamorphis into $$$  $$$$$  $$$ $$$$  390 $$$$$  cam $$$$ wait 6 months $$$$$  aluminum cylinder heads $$$$$ $    just teasing you .. but like the motorcycle guy from the first mad max...speed is just a question of $$$$

It's really not that much more money to build AMC,
 under normal circumstances anyway.

Yea, there have been some crazy deals to had with other brands,
 like brand new $99 intakes, pairs of (Chinese) aluminum heads for the price of 1 AMC aluminum head,
cheap rebuilt & new blocks,

so AMC isn't the cheapest to build,
 but my custom Howards cam was only $120 IIRC,
I got an Airgap & a Victor AMC intake at list price back when they were available,
 and AMC/Edelbrock heads when Amazon had a random price drop for no reason at all.

I got bearings and rod bolts on Ebay, shopping deals,
 the headers weren't cheap, but it's not 1987 anymore when a set was $89 for any engine.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2022 at 5:25pm
In previous posts the statement was made that the aftermarket hasn't produced EFI kits for AMC engines as early as other brands.

I beg to differ, MSD Atomic and several other bolt on to existing manifolds all got released for AMC same time as other brands.

The Pro Flo 4 EFI system wasn't that far behind the release for other brands.

Heck I'm not even sure some of those brands got the Pro Flo 4 manifold at all.

All the hype about aftermarket support not there for AMC is just bull hooey.

Even a few of the sheetmetal intake guys have made sheetmetal intakes for AMC.

It's out there guys, ya just gotta be lucky enough to find it.

Edit; Ones gotta remember that the virus caused recession in manufacturing hasn't just affected AMC aftermarket parts, all brand aftermarket parts are tough to find these days

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Jan/29/2022 at 5:33pm
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic