TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Buying from an Auto Parts Venor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tubatrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying from an Auto Parts Venor
    Posted: Jan/20/2022 at 2:54pm
I recently put in a request with one of the "Quality  Used Engines"  vendors seeking a replacement 196 OHV 6 for my 1964 Rambler American Convertible.  I got a timely email saying they had one available.   The two gents I spoke to had Indian or Pakistani accents.  They clarified that the available engine was a 199 6 out of a 1966 Ambassador and assured me that after a deposit was made they would remove and quality check the engine and ship it to me from Florida for $2600.  Has anyone dealt with these type of suppliers and am I foolish to be considering this purchase?  They didn't indicate how many miles were on the vehicle but as it's a '66 I would assume high milage. The term " Caviat Emptor" is always in the back of my mind in these matters.
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2022 at 3:02pm
This post has red flags written all over it. So yes....I'd run-away and work through the AMC Vendors (Kennedy, Galvins, APD, etc) who can help you get exactly what you need, for probably a bunch less than what these guys quoted you.  Secondly....a 199 and a 196 are entirely different engines, and I'm pretty sure that length-wise at least, a 199 is too long to fit in a 64 American engine bay.  Hope this helps.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2022 at 3:14pm
Yep. Frauds are all over the place, especially when you put a "wanted" add out there somewhere. Avoid them like the plague! They do not have your 196 engine!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2022 at 3:19pm
Your instincts are what led you to ask the question.  Trust your instinct this smells fishy.
Get their address check google earth see if there is even a shop or yard.

Run away.

Ron
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
amc-rookie View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc-rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2022 at 4:22pm
That sounds real fishy. Even with a crate and shipping, price seems high.
Check Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.
I saw a 199 in CT in an AMC car club newsletter last year. Maybe it's still available.
Good luck.
Project finally underway $$$! near-basket case 1968 AMX #2789 was 290/auto will be 343/auto

Son's car 1968 Javelin 6cyl/3 speed
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2022 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by gtoman_us gtoman_us wrote:

Your instincts are what led you to ask the question.  Trust your instinct this smells fishy.
Get their address check google earth see if there is even a shop or yard.

Run away.

Ron

Yeah what he said!!! X10!!

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2022 at 8:21pm
They have no idea what they are talking about.  YZou want 195.6 OHV, they offer 199. Huh? 

Second, $2600 for a USED motor is 10 times what it's worth. You can have a 199 rebuilt for that (basic). Or buy a rebuilt 232 from one of the legit rebuilders, delivered, for less than that.

Edited by tomj - Jan/20/2022 at 8:26pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic