TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Heater Core: New or Re-core

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeebieJeebie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heater Core: New or Re-core
    Posted: Jan/19/2022 at 11:02am
On a 1974 Gremlin, am I better to buy an after-market heater core, for what seems to be available for under $75, or to have the original one re-cored for probably double the cost. If money is not the subject, what's better for overall heath?
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2022 at 11:12am
Like all new things it's probably made in India or China. If I had the option and there is still a full service shop that can re-core around you I would go that route. At least you know it will fit and who knows with an aftermarket unit.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2022 at 12:52pm
Maybe it's too simple, but you can also just ask the AMC vendor where the core came from. 
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2022 at 1:21pm
Last heater core I brought in couldn't be repaired; or at least not without spending hundreds of $ on it.  I brought him a later model core that was still good and he put the original tank and date coded plates on that core.  It was ~$80 and this was 7-10 years ago.  Like alternator and starter repair, radiator shops are scarce these days as repairs are only cost effective on large commercial vehicles where you can't go to Auto Zone.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic