TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Parts washer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2022 at 1:35pm
My parts washer, of unknown brand, has an aquarium pump in it. It held up fine to mineral spirits, but I put gun wash in the tank one time and that melted the pump. (I guess fish can take only so much solvent) Replaced with the same pump and it's fine again with mineral spirits.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Regamble1969 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regamble1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2022 at 12:47am
Originally posted by rsrguy3 rsrguy3 wrote:

Anyone ever plumb in an old dishwasher, you know the old ones with the high pressure? At one time I sold industrial parts washers, if I remember correctly we used a fairly caustic detergent, man did those things work well! 

I had one of those stand-alone dish washers on casters once. When I remodeled the kitchen, it got a new, built in unit and I tried exactly that. Dang did it work good for about 3 weeks. I used Zep soap and just kept an eye on it so when it got to the drain cycle I would just shut it off. I presume the petroleum products deteriorated some plastic part somewhere because it quit pumping one day so I threw it away. If I were to do it over, I'd try and make it so it drained the dirty water into a filtration system of some type that I could wait for the oil to separate from the water and skim it off. Or use some of the parts and repurpose them into a bigger, all steel cabinet that could fit a transmission case.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2022 at 9:09pm
I dont know who made the washer bin I bought used less pump.
I went with a HF pump and it worked for the 4 year cab off frame rebuild of a Ford pick up.

Now I filled it with Zepp Industrial Purple Degreaser at 100% and rinse the parts with water.
I bought it in 5 gallon buckets and topped off as needed.
When I needed it months later I found the liquid had evaporated but it left all the dirt in the bottom LOL
The pump did not sit on the bottom so it did not pull in any dirt.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
CamaroDoc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamaroDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2023 at 9:52pm
Shop Craigslist for used equipment. I got an old Safety-Kleen parts washer for $50 that works great. To fight possible rust issues, line the barrel with a heavy duty garbage bag before setting the top on... ( or several if they are sketchy)

I have seen home made parts cleaners using an old cast iron farmhouse sink, 30 gallon barrel, and an old used sbc oil pump. The motor was mounted up high with a pvc pipe with short rubber hose on each end for the drive shaft. Make a framework to support the old oil pump up off the bottom and clamp a large sock to the sink drain. Cheap and functional. Cut a plywood cover if you are worried about vapors
worm611 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worm611 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2023 at 7:02am
I have a HF parts washer that is well over 30 years old, it was my Dad's.  If I recall at that time it was catalog order, we didn't have stores in our area, or was it just Chicago Tools at that time?  Its always used a decent parts cleaner solution and never once had any issues with it.

It sat for about 4 years without being used when I moved.  I was pretty sure I would have to replace it, but nope, for the past year it still runs just fine!

Of course I am not going to say you are going to see the same quality from HF as we did back then, but buying a used part washer, you have no idea what was put through that thing.....

Jeremy
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2023 at 9:07am
Originally posted by roadventure roadventure wrote:

Take a look...

I worked for this company years ago designing custom machines for large companies, but their smaller turntable type washers were very popular in auto shops.

I've got a turntable washer that I bought when a transmission shop closed up.  A Kwik-Way 213 to be exact.  Half the wiring is sketchy so I haven't used it yet.

These are great for large solid pieces, blocks, heads, cranks, etc. but when it come to degreasing things like PS pumps, steering gears, etc. you can't beat a solvent tank cleaner.  Both have their place.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic