TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New V8 Oil Pan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverlaketim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2023 at 7:56pm
I have one of the prototype Moroso pans. Like John said pan fit is very good as is the finish. I fit it on 304 and 401 blocks  as well as a 360 with a Garland performance main girdle cleared just fine even with the Jeep dent. I will be ordering a couple more of them.
TL
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2023 at 4:35pm
Hurst 390s oil pickup arm swings from side to side. I assume the oil gets into the pick up at the rear most part of the arm. Those features work great while accelerating and turning. How would one go about ensuring oil at the pickup while under heavy braking? Is that the dilemma that got solved by dry sumps and oil tanks instead of high volume oil pans and swing arms?

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Sep/19/2023 at 4:38pm
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
RobinPDX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinPDX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2024 at 5:19pm
Nice MOROSO Unit yet $361.xx for a piece of tin, way over priced.
I'm once again going to do another Modify of the stock pan, adding 2" Depth to it for 2 1/2 Qt capacity increase.
Done this on other brand engines.

Mild steel 17ga plate, cut to order from local metal market, weld sections in place. 
Lengthen PU tube and MFG a brace for it.
Few hours work.
This type of DIY MOD Is simple, I can only suggest for our engines car or truck.

Rob Wiley
bvpotash1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bvpotash1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2024 at 9:09pm

I ordered my pan last week and received it this week. I could not be happier with this purchase. A quality aftermarket supplier makes a new product for our obsolete engine and some people find a reason to complain even though they have not seen it or held it in their hands. This pan weights almost twice as much as a stock pan. The wielding in superb, the pan rails are laser straight and the anodized finish is awesome! Just what I was looking for, stock depth with extra capacity and enough room inside for my full length windage tray. This pan is so robust it would easily take a stone hit or a curb hit. Something a 17-gauge piece of steel would not. Some people do not realize the R+D that goes into releasing a new part into the marketplace. That cost money along with skilled American labor required to hand craft a product like this. I guess the same people that complain about the price of a quality USA part hasn’t been to a gas station or grocery store lately.

Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2024 at 6:58am
 It looks nice. It looks similar to the one I made last weekend for a street engine.
It doesnt look like it has any baffling so with a static pick-up I see no advantage over a stock pan other than volume.
 You would be better off with an extra quart in a stock pan because the sump box is tapered to the sump.   This is just a big box with no oil control.
 I just cut the bottom out of a stock pan for a sump area with the stock pick-up. And welded the box around it for volume.

SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
RobinPDX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RobinPDX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2024 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

It looks nice. It looks similar to the one I made last weekend for a street engine.
It doesnt look like it has any baffling so with a static pick-up I see no advantage over a stock pan other than volume.
 You would be better off with an extra quart in a stock pan because the sump box is tapered to the sump.   This is just a big box with no oil control.
 I just cut the bottom out of a stock pan for a sump area with the stock pick-up. And welded the box around it for volume.

Seriously, Anodize your and seller them for $$$365.xx.
Funny the winningest cars anywhere had home made pans exactly  like yours for 1/20th cost look exactly like yours. Its just a piece of 17Ga folded twice and 15 minutes MIG/TIG welding job. Ive been doing that stuff since the late 70's. Think last pan had maybe $36.xx into it. W/O stencil!
Ho Hommm

Edited by RobinPDX - Feb/07/2024 at 1:25pm
Rob Wiley
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2024 at 5:10pm
The pan is very nice and will work well for most applications

I have one on my car with no issues shifting at 7k going straight 

This was not designed to be an all out racing pan. It is a factory replacement pan that takes a factory pickup and holds around 7qts 

Moroso can modify these pans how ever you want them

They are supposed to be coming out with different levels of this pan for the more demanding applications

There will be a price increase with each level also 

The Canton road race pan and pickup approached 500-600 dollars before they discontinued them if memory serves

Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2024 at 5:50am
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Hurst 390s oil pickup arm swings from side to side. I assume the oil gets into the pick up at the rear most part of the arm. Those features work great while accelerating and turning. How would one go about ensuring oil at the pickup while under heavy braking? Is that the dilemma that got solved by dry sumps and oil tanks instead of high volume oil pans and swing arms?
No problems with braking. If you look at my circle track pan it has trap doors to control the oil under braking. There is oil in the sump box under all conditions except for a roll over.
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
nitro-express View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitro-express Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2024 at 5:19pm
At one time the speed shops sold a weld on sump kit, made the whole job easier. With a mig welder probably a DIY for most. However, you don't want to have any loose weld and other debris entering the system. On the 401 I helped install recently, it had a Milodon pan with the swinging single/dual external lines. Getting the line to clear the headers was a challenge. Not a perfect system for the tight Hornet chassis. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic