TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Matador Rotors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2022 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

I don't have a problem with my sliding brakes sticking. I assemble them with anti-seize on the slides for lubrication though.

THIS.  It seems like nobody ever lubricates the slides - just slap-em together and complain 10k miles later.  I use high-temp brake grease on the top and bottom caliper slides on the Bendix brakes and never have issues.  I know I have it right if after assembly (and before bleeding) if I can slide the caliper side-to-side by hand.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2022 at 8:06pm
Yep. The Delco (and Kelsey-Hayes) pin type are better, but properly greased the slide type work just fine. They do drag a little more than the Delcos or an opposed piston type, but not enough to change over for that reason only.

I started to make a bracket to put four piston Jaguar front brakes on mine, since I have the Jag dual piston disc brakes (opposed pistons) on the rear (88 Jag IRS). But I decided against it -- those cast iron calipers are big and HEAVY -- about three times the weight of the 79 Bendix 2.6" piston calipers.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2022 at 8:48pm
73gremlin401 is right. All my brake (and other) woes like that went away when I started on my crazy-person venture of cleaning everything. Sanding pins, scrubbing, painting, inspecting, lubricating, etc. We all or most have somehow inherited these ways of working from the "hourly shop" model, where "wasting time" is worried about. 

I really enjoy working on dumb old brakes. Turning gross krap into stuff to show off, even dumb old lowly 9" drums. Billd does that, to an art form extreme.

Also this stuff is so old the old slap-together that worked in the 1980s, when parts were like-new at 10, are now antiques, pitted and corroded.

I use Permatex Nickel Anti-Seize as my go-to. Even on lug nuts, where no lube is recommended, or exhaust hardware. The vehicle dries up soon enough, leaving stiff, thin, powdered metals. 20 years now ir works great.

Edited by tomj - Jan/20/2022 at 8:50pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 7:28am
Well said Tom! I really hate it when people stop to tell me about the POS Rambler they had back when. Well, it was 15-20+ years old, had been through at least two other family members, poorly maintained by the last two (if at all), and had well over 100K miles on it -- with the last 40K+ being rather hard (due mostly to no/ little maintenance). Every now and then someone will praise it for those reasons. They will admit to doing minimal maintenance for various reasons (usually they were just a kid and didn't know or care) and say they were impressed  because "the thing just wouldn't die".

Edited by farna - Jan/21/2022 at 7:30am
Frank Swygert
ALWNDUP View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALWNDUP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2022 at 5:03pm
WARBED,
Did you take any pics to show how you did it, or at least the final result?

Edited by ALWNDUP - Jan/24/2022 at 5:05pm
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2022 at 10:13pm
I'll dig up the pics and video I made at the time. The face of the rotor I machined to keep the center point of the rotor the same as the original center point. Basically, it was the thickness of the mounting area of the disc that I machined off the Hub. also machined the hub diameter so the new rotor hat would fit over the hub
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic