TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

rear end lubrication

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2021 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

there are NO yellow metals in the AMC 20;I can't believe I have to say this.  Yes, GL5 is necessary.  GL4 is not recommended for any ring and pinion that I've seen because it doesn't have the high pressure resistance that's inherent in a R&P.  The Wal Mart synthetic is fine.  If you find you need the modifier, that's available at multiple places, but most oils that say they have it do not have enough. 

Hmm.  Was GL5 available in 1970?
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2021 at 8:32pm
GL5 or MIL-PRF-2105E designation was first available to the market 22AUG1995. Automotive was 1987.
GL5 has a better EP designation and if there are no yellow metals in an AMC15 or AMC20 friction materials, then it would be the oil to use.
I just don't know this fact for all replacement friction plates.
I do know that my Ford 8.8 posi had aftermarket friction plates that have yellow metal in them and have seen several were the friction material has just disintegrated off the backing plates.
Many wet clutch tractors have yellow metal in their friction material also. Splitting a full size tractor front from rear for clutch replacement is not that simple - off topic.
Your AMC came with GL4 from the factory. A Rambler was likely GL3 

AMC Service Specifications: "SAE #80 (SAE #90 may be used if SAE #80 is not available). Gear lubrication API-GL-4 quality may be used. ... Twin Grip American Motors Twin Grip rear axle lubricant ...

Edited by Trader - Dec/03/2021 at 9:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic