TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

tach repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tach repair
    Posted: Dec/02/2021 at 6:44pm
I have a non operational factory tach from a1980 Spirit AMX that I want to have repaired. Suggestions on where to have it done.
1974 Javelin AMX
1980 Spirit AMX
1987 Jeep Comanche Sportruck
390amx1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2021 at 5:28am
I used the Tachman http://www.tachman.com/ to replace my outdated 69 AMX tach drive with a newer style drive.  He also repairs broken tachs if they are salvageable....  He also cleaned the gauge pod faces as well as calibrated and cleaned the speedo.  came back very nice...   having said this, I would think sourcing a functional used tach would be much cheaper than getting it fixed unless its rare...

Edited by 390amx1 - Dec/03/2021 at 5:31am
69 BBB 390 Tremec 5-speed AMX #13584 since 1978 (166,000 miles)
08 Zo6 Corvette
22 Ram 1500
24 CT5-V Blackwing #317
Yamaha Supercharged Jet Ski's
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2021 at 9:37am
When I contacted the Tachman awhile ago he told me that he wouldn’t touch Faria gauges. Why? Because they were cheap back then for a reason and time has not improved them any. That may have changed though, so do touch base with him. 
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2021 at 3:40pm
At one time I found a how to on repairing those tachs with the guts of a 90's Ford truck tach. Google may turn up that thread.

Or replace the guts of the tach with an aftermarket tach, see this thread for ideas. https://theamcforum.com/forum/crazy-idea_topic113274.html
"Prolly" is not a word.
garweb3 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2021 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

When I contacted the Tachman awhile ago he told me that he wouldn’t touch Faria gauges. Why? Because they were cheap back then for a reason and time has not improved them any. That may have changed though, so do touch base with him. 
So does that make my tach a Faria model?
1974 Javelin AMX
1980 Spirit AMX
1987 Jeep Comanche Sportruck
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2021 at 6:10pm
That is the brand of gauge that AMC used. 

You can see on this page that the Tachman refers to them (taut band meters) as “junk” and that the only “repair” he offers is changing out the original gauge for a modern tachometer conversion with 3-wires (ground, signal, power). 

THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2021 at 7:12pm
I have always had good luck with "Instrument Service Inc." for gauge repairs. Even had a Quartz conversion done buy them to a clock for my 70 AMX.  

Dennis

Edited by THE MENACE - Dec/04/2021 at 7:15pm
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic