TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dash Repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Pannizzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dash Repair
    Posted: Nov/30/2021 at 12:08pm
I have a question about Dashpad Repair cost. I have a 74 AMX with AC. The top Dashpad needs a little work. The Mounting screw holes across Windshield need to be repaired. On Passenger side just to the right of Last AC vent it looks like there was water damage as Foam underneath is bubbling causing vinyl to have bulges in it. Rest of Vinyl is in Good shape. Can anybody give me a general Idea of cost to have pad repaired? Figured I would ask here to see if anybody has done this repair. Thanks for any and all help.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2021 at 12:58pm
How bad is it? is it just the underside base part that's broken? That's usually what goes bad. It's fixable with some plastic repair or epoxy. Mine was pretty bad so I bent some metal tabs and bonded them in for support. The vinyl on the top side is nice so I glued it back down around the repairs after I did them. Here's a picture of the center section that I fixed. You don't see any of it when it's in the car.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2021 at 1:26pm
To answer on question, go to Just Dashes – Dash Pad and Classic Car Interior Restoration
Their prices and services are listed. 

If your repair the dash yourself, it will depend on how and what materials you decide to use as to the price.
Every repair is similar but very different from any other repair. The time, energy and materials will determine the cost. Not trying to sound of the wall, but I have repaired many dashes and some dashes that I attempted to repair either had to have a professional shop repair the pad or the pad was replaced. 
I would look up repair of dash pads on-line to get an idea on the amount of work that is needed, what is repairable & how, materials and repair methods, and then make a decision as to which way you want to go. In many cases replacement is cheaper than a repair. Sometimes the repair is cheaper. The current condition of your dash, the amount of damage(s), etc. is what counts.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Al Pannizzo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Pannizzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2021 at 8:56am
Just got an estimate from Just Dashes. $1500 + 200-300 to finish with correct Color Match. Also Shipping and Tax Cost. Does this seem right or is there another outfit I can checkout? Thought it would be closer to $1000 but maybe everything has gone up lately!!
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2021 at 8:17pm
If you're repairing plastic, do a search on "Plastex".  There are many videos on how folks have used it.  I've successfully repaired several spots on my dash with it.
Bill O.
70 AMX
LouB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2021 at 8:22am
I had my '71 dash pad basically rebuilt by Just Dashes.  It came back perfect.  Albeit my wallet took a big hit, it is very nice.  I think with shipping and some matching Dye I was in for ~$1900, ouch.  
LouB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic