TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX weather eye

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 AMX weather eye
    Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 1:13pm
I have been trying to replace a cable for the weather eye.  The little clip to attach the cable sheath to the back of the weather eye is impossible to get on even though I have the gauges out to gain access. The TSM says to replace a cable that the weather eye must be removed from the dash from the engine side and that 4 screws hold it in.  I can find only 1 screw.  Does anyone have a picture of the weather eye removed that would show the location of the screws?  The pics below are the weather eye and the damn clip to hold the cable on.

69 BBB 390 Tremec 5-speed AMX #13584 since 1978 (166,000 miles)
08 Zo6 Corvette
22 Ram 1500
24 CT5-V Blackwing #317
Yamaha Supercharged Jet Ski's
390amx1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 2:48pm
Two hours later moving all sorts of wiring I found the 4 screws.  Almost impossible to get to them.  Need to disassemble more and buy some really tight tolerance Phillip drivers.  Talk about a crap rump design.  No wonder no one fixed this cable over the last 30 years.  Any hints how to get to the screws out will be much appreciated.  I have one out.
08 Zo6 Corvette
22 Ram 1500
24 CT5-V Blackwing #317
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 6:20pm
At the factory, they installed the WE, gauges, harness,  etc, into the dash; then installed the assy into the car. 

Bit driver ratchets are very handy.  I think I also have one with a flex head.  
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 6:37pm
There are 4 screws at each corner of the Weather Eye faceplate. Yeah, they’re a PITA to take out unless you’ve got the whole dash out. To replace the cables I wouldn’t remove the faceplate because as hard as those screws are to get out, they’re going to be 10x as hard to get back in. 

When I replaced my Bowden cables I removed the gauges and the headlight switch and used some needle-nose pliers and a flashlight, working from underneath the dash and through the holes for the temporarily removed gauges/switches and I was able to get the clips attached. 

Edited by sweatlock - Nov/26/2021 at 8:32pm
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 6:56pm
Yup, another one of those PITA items.  Usually with a little persuasion, several attempts and a few choice words you can reinstall these clips. I like to use a very small set of channel locks. The mini set that are about three inches long. Finding an angle to work at under the dash is the hardest part. 
One hand I/m holding the cable and the clip in place (hook the one side first with two hands) & then come in at a 45 angle with the channel locks and clip in place. 
Sound easy, not so easy.
Otherwise, it is easier to install all the clips while the weather eye is out of the dash and then install as a unit. 
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

390amx1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2021 at 6:20am
OK, after taking two days to chill, reading the previous comments and buying all sorts of cool little tools to take out the screws I decided to give it one more go before i take the weather eye out.  I’m going to increase access by removing the drivers seat and attack from underneath.  If that isn’t enough and i need more access and decide to use two people I will likely remove the steering wheel also.  Thank god this is a winter project that doesn't have a timeline…
08 Zo6 Corvette
22 Ram 1500
24 CT5-V Blackwing #317
390amx1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2021 at 7:49am
Success!  Took out drivers seat, laid on my back, right hand holding the cable in place and getting the clip lined up, then with left hand went thru the clock hole with long nose needle nose and fought a little and then heard the click!  Originally thought I broke the clip or cracked some plastic, LOL…. Definitely the way to do it is from underneath, has to be much better than removing the weather eye…
08 Zo6 Corvette
22 Ram 1500
24 CT5-V Blackwing #317
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2021 at 8:05am
Originally posted by 390amx1 390amx1 wrote:

Success!  Took out drivers seat, laid on my back, right hand holding the cable in place and getting the clip lined up, then with left hand went thru the clock hole with long nose needle nose and fought a little and then heard the click!  Originally thought I broke the clip or cracked some plastic, LOL…. Definitely the way to do it is from underneath, has to be much better than removing the weather eye…

This old fat boy has found that anything I have to do under a dash goes much better if I pull the seat out.  I just don't bend like I did in my 20's!
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2021 at 11:16am
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Originally posted by 390amx1 390amx1 wrote:

This old fat boy has found that anything I have to do under a dash goes much better if I pull the seat out.  I just don't bend like I did in my 20's!

Thumbs Up            LOL
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic