TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Struts instead of trunnions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayne_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 9:04pm
For my ‘69 AMX. As the parts become rarer and harder to find, a strut set up is so simple. If you fabricate a lower control arm and the connecting links, I’m curious if a strut assembly from a current gen Camar would work. The entire assembly with the strut, spindle, brakes etc…
1969 AMX 390
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 10:11pm
A lot of math goes into designing a steering/suspension system.
Big project if your going to do a ground up new design.
That's why most will steel a system complete from a donor or buy aftermarket.
Someone at a show this summer used a complete Corvette, 2004??? Anyhow, it was very little work to bolt in, they stated, and was "amazing". Did not see it myself. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 9:13pm
Yes, the parts are getting more expensive, but it will still be far cheaper to buy new ones/rebuild than to replace. Thousands to replace, hundreds to fix. The parts are available still. Set up right they work fine unless you're competitively road racing or something.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Amx68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amx68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2021 at 5:21pm
I had wondered if something like a Fox body Mustang or the 94+ era aftermarket coil overs with adjustable upper plate would work, while using the Mustang knuckle and even the brake setup. And then if could get away with making the AMC lower arm and strut rod stay the same. Then build a strut brace across the top in the engine bay. I have no comparison on measurements or anything specific more than just thought and seeing pictures of the Mustang setups. 

In my Amx I ended up just rebuilding the stock trunnion front end though, for the ease of knowing it works. 
1968 Amx - Was 390/4spd, will have mild 360/5spd T5 (project)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited - 4.0L Auto, 3-link front, 6.5" lift, 36" Swampers, locked front/rear, 4.56 gears, doorless, etc. Wheeled & DD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic