TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Going Forwards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

More boost, ragged edge tune, run you 10 and then back it off, unles you want to run 10's all the time I guess.

What are your ET cutoffs over there, my mate ran 10.98 once and the track officials came down on him like a tonne of bricks, had to get the car tech inspected, the existing cage didn't meet current regs, now has to wear a full face helmet, balaclava and race suit. Hasn't run in the 10's since. We can run 11.0 with minimal safety requirements in an old car.

We always have to go through tech here. I believe the cutoff is 7.35 in the 1/8th and 11.50 in the 1/4 for a minimum 5 point roll bar. Got a 6 point in mine. Gotta have a valid Snell rated helmet and belts that aren't out of date (belts good for two years). Two throttle springs. Coolant overflow must be terminated into a container. Drivershaft loop if running slicks. Not sure if a jacket is required for me but I have one. Don't need the gloves, pants or shoes.

Not sure where the next cutoff is beyond where I'm at.

I've been told since newer cars have more standard safety equipment they're less restrictive.

-Steve-
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 10:22pm
Gear change would probably get you there, maybe look at a 4 speed auto if you want to drive it on the highway. What are your 60’ times like?
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
gunnarcove View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunnarcove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 1:45am
i agree, slightly lower gear in the rear and you would be there.
and still would be a cruiser...
amo #9922
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 3:38am
Swapping out that heavy 727 for a lighter 904/998 might be enough to get you over the line, really depends on your ultimate goal, do you just want to run a high 10 so you can say it is a ten second car or do you want to run deep into the 10's every week. Track specific tune and extra boost, then dial it back for the street. Easy enough to swap between tunes with the Sniper.

Our ET limit is 11.00 in competition before you need a cage (5 point) and tech inspection, under 10.00 you need a whole host of additional safety stuff, fancy race license (needs a medical), the list goes on . When I say tech inspection, I mean the car must be log booked as a race car as opposed to just going through a general safety inspection at the track.

We have really strict road rules around modifications, so you cannot run a 5 point cage on the street, you would get away with a 4 point cage that had a removable door bar on the street. 
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 7:01am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Gear change would probably get you there, maybe look at a 4 speed auto if you want to drive it on the highway. What are your 60’ times like?

60' right at 1.50. Engine makes max HP at 5,700 RPM. I'm going through the 1/4 mile traps at 6,300. Running on 27" DOT tires. That's the biggest that will fit.

Not looking for low 10s, just consistent 10.90s would make me happy. I'd really like to run Drag Week. Car has to be 100% reliable.

A guy at Cordova told me to make sure the transmission line pressure is high enough to prevent slippage.

-Steve-

Edited by Rebel Machine - Nov/21/2021 at 7:03am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 4:22pm
The last 10th is always the tricky one, as well as the things people have suggested above, you are probably on the right track with the heads.

I have a mate with a street driven hornet that has been LS swapped and has a couple of turbos tucked underneath near the rear axle (4 link), ran 10.1 @ 150 mph last time out, but I know we all want to see your AMX stay AMC powered around here. 
garweb3 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2021 at 9:03am
Yes we do!
1974 Javelin AMX
1980 Spirit AMX
1987 Jeep Comanche Sportruck
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic