TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Sloppy A/C vents

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73AZ401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sloppy A/C vents
    Posted: Nov/18/2021 at 7:48pm
I have upgraded my non functional factory A/C to a modern r134a setup with a more efficient  Sanden compressor,new receiver,dryer and condenser.
My stock blower motor seems a little weak and probably needs to be replaced.
Also my stock original dash vents are a little loose and flop around.
I know about the guy that makes 3D printed non articulating vents,but I’m looking to stiffen up the stock vents.
Tia for any help.
68-73 amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2021 at 9:10pm
If they come apart on the inside ( it snaps together ) it could be your problem. Take your dash pad off , remove vents ,  repair broken or missing pieces , snap back together carefully (cause they are brittle ) and reassemble . Also a good time to clean and repaint the silver or chrome accent line around the vent.
73AZ401 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73AZ401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2021 at 10:42am
I am more referring to my gauge cluster vents.
My Mechanic overhauled my dash pad vents already.
I believe he said he used a plastic welder to give some resistance to the motion of the articulating vents??

White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2021 at 11:35am
I'm experiencing the same issue with the vents in the middle of the dash on the White70JavelinSST.

The passenger side vent will stay in any position I place it.

The driver side vent only stays fully closed or fully open.

If I try to set it in between open and closed it just flops shut.

any one figured out a fix for that?
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2022 at 1:44pm
The vent flaps snap out from their bezels. Slip a couple of fingers through the opening and pop the flaps out. You’ll see that the flap pivots are secured by a small Phillips screw at each end. You may just need to tighten the screws slightly or you may need to make a small shim to add more friction to hold the flaps in place. BTW, this tip only works with the round style, trap door, style dash vents as used on the earlier big body cars, the AMC under dash units and the 68 through 70 AMX and Javelin models.

Edited by george w - Mar/17/2022 at 7:32am
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic